SUNY Downstate OT program 2012?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tati1435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just wanted to see if anyone has applied to the OT program at Downstate and if so what were your stats? Just want to see if anyone's in the same boat as I. So, hoping for a miracle....but we'll see.

Pre-req GPA:3.71
Science GPA: 4.0
CUM GPA: Not really sure. Maybe around 2.9? Undergrad GPA is not worth mentioning b/c it sucks.
Grad GPA (MBA): 3.03
About 80 hours of volunteer hours at a nursing home. And I'm working full-time so I can't really do anymore than what I already have.

So nervous, especially since the application deadline is next week.
Also, if anyone is already in the program can you let me/everyone know about when they called or emailed you for the interview or when you got accepted?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

But honestly don't have much hope...

3.2 GPA in Natural Science with a Bio minor and an associates in Spanish.

I am taking 2 prerequisites now: Anthro 1, Psy 1, and next semester I will take Abnormal Psy and Developmental Psy.

I have a C in Statistics, but am hoping somehow they notice my 2 semesters of Calculus instead where I got B's. I got a B- in Chem I but am hoping they see the A- I got in Chem II.

I got to read my letters of rec and they sound great to me but I really have no idea if they sound any better than average. One is from a Bio teacher I have done some research with (completely unrelated to OT research) the other from my supervisor from when I worked as an aid in special education classrooms.

I am having a hard time with the essay portion. I like my essay regarding relevant experience but am having a hard time with the other one.

And just because I feel like wining a bit more -- I just got my scores from the revised gre and they are lower than the range I was given...

Verbal 163, QA149, AW4.0

This process is excruciating. The program sounds amazing. Best of luck to both of us!

Was accepted to Downstate last year but ended up going to another program I was accepted into. My science GPA/prereq GPA was like the first posters (4.0/3.7ish), but my undergrad GPA was a bit higher, like 3.7. I had 150 hours in 3 different OT settings (outpatient rehab, hospital, school). I'd suggest maybe changing your volunteer setting as you said you can only do one because you work right now. They like to see diversity in what you've observed and you need to be able to talk about it on the interview. I applied mid-November last year and was interviewed like December 22 or so. The students were about to leave on winter break. I found out mid-January that I was accepted. Hope this helps...any other questions let me know!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was accepted to Downstate last year but ended up going to another program I was accepted into. My science GPA/prereq GPA was like the first posters (4.0/3.7ish), but my undergrad GPA was a bit higher, like 3.7. I had 150 hours in 3 different OT settings (outpatient rehab, hospital, school). I'd suggest maybe changing your volunteer setting as you said you can only do one because you work right now. They like to see diversity in what you've observed and you need to be able to talk about it on the interview. I applied mid-November last year and was interviewed like December 22 or so. The students were about to leave on winter break. I found out mid-January that I was accepted. Hope this helps...any other questions let me know!

Thanks for the info! Really crossing my fingers. Where did you wind up going if you don't mind me asking? I'm in the process of applying to more schools so we'll see.

But honestly don't have much hope...

3.2 GPA in Natural Science with a Bio minor and an associates in Spanish.

I am taking 2 prerequisites now: Anthro 1, Psy 1, and next semester I will take Abnormal Psy and Developmental Psy.

I have a C in Statistics, but am hoping somehow they notice my 2 semesters of Calculus instead where I got B's. I got a B- in Chem I but am hoping they see the A- I got in Chem II.

I got to read my letters of rec and they sound great to me but I really have no idea if they sound any better than average. One is from a Bio teacher I have done some research with (completely unrelated to OT research) the other from my supervisor from when I worked as an aid in special education classrooms.

I am having a hard time with the essay portion. I like my essay regarding relevant experience but am having a hard time with the other one.

And just because I feel like wining a bit more -- I just got my scores from the revised gre and they are lower than the range I was given...

Verbal 163, QA149, AW4.0

This process is excruciating. The program sounds amazing. Best of luck to both of us!

Who are you telling! the process and waiting is enough to drive anyone nuts! LOL! Do you have any back up schools that you are looking into? I really hope we both catcha break....but its all about having POSITIVE THINKING!!! I'm sure you will do well in the rest of your pre-req's....All the best to you as well!!!

Who are you telling! the process and waiting is enough to drive anyone nuts! LOL! Do you have any back up schools that you are looking into? I really hope we both catcha break....but its all about having POSITIVE THINKING!!! I'm sure you will do well in the rest of your pre-req's....All the best to you as well!!!

I'm also applying to Samuel Merritt in Oakland, USC, University of the Pacific near Portland, and Louisiana State in New Orleans. And I am looking into that combined OT/PT program in San Diego.
How about you?

Have you heard anything? I have a few things checked off my check list from the 21st, but nothing since.

Have you heard anything? I have a few things checked off my check list from the 21st, but nothing since.
No nothing yet :(...if you hear anything let me know! good luck!

Nobody has heard anything yet regarding interviews, right? I checked the message boards from around this time a year ago and this is when they started hearing about them...

nope haven't heard anything yet either. we shall see! hopefully soon

Nobody has heard anything yet regarding interviews, right? I checked the message boards from around this time a year ago and this is when they started hearing about them...
Today I got an email that said my application was complete and that "...the application review process takes time due to the large volume of submitted applications we regularly receive each year." Wish they gave an approximation of what that means!

Today I got an email that said my application was complete and that "...the application review process takes time due to the large volume of submitted applications we regularly receive each year." Wish they gave an approximation of what that means!

I got that same email ("It will be forwarded to the department to be furthered considered.") on December 1st. At that time they didn't mention a large volume, it worries me if they are inundated.

Fingers crossed that we hear back soon - it seems like I am checking my email constantly the past few days waiting for that SMU invite! Like you, I also poked through last year's threads and found that some people had been requested for an interview around the 12th or 13th in 2010. I have yet to find anyone from this year's cohort stating they've been invited, so maybe things are just a bit later. One person in another thread said that their interview invitation came on December 23rd, which was a little relieving to hear.

Anyhow, good luck to you all! Please post if you hear anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an email today from Joyce Sabari requesting to schedule an interview with me for 1/3!!!

Got an email today from Joyce Sabari requesting to schedule an interview with me for 1/3!!!
Hey!! Congratulations!! I haven't received anything...but we'll see. I've seen her name on some other threads and I've read she's a challenging interviewer...so make sure you prepare for it. Wish you the best of luck!!:)

Is it somehow noted on your checklist as well? Or did you just get the email?

Thanks for the heads up! I will keep that in mind when preparing this week. :)

As for the checklist, nothing is noted there; just the email.

I got my acceptance letter in the mail today! (Even though my checklist was updated for a few days already...) Did anyone else hear back from them yet? I'm still waiting on other schools but it's okay to reply that I'll be attending and then withdraw if I change my mind right? I feel bad doing that but Downstate only gave two weeks to make a decision and they're the only school I heard from so far :(.

Last edited:
I got my acceptance letter in the mail today! (Even though my checklist was updated for a few days already...) Did anyone else hear back from them yet? I'm still waiting on other schools but it's okay to reply that I'll be attending and then withdraw if I change my mind right? I feel bad doing that but Downstate only gave two weeks to make a decision and they're the only school I heard from so far :(.
You can definitely change your mind. That's how many people get off the waitlist. However, you do have to submit a deposit to the school to hold a place. If you decide to go to another school, you relinquish the deposit.

I havent heard back as far as even being interviewed yet and i know a bunch of people that havent heard a thing but congrats to getting in!! what were your stats if you dont mind me asking?? and did they email you for an interview or did you get a letter? also are you a ny resident?

Congrats on your acceptance! I haven't heard anything yet since my interview at the beginning of the month...

You can definitely change your mind. That's how many people get off the waitlist. However, you do have to submit a deposit to the school to hold a place. If you decide to go to another school, you relinquish the deposit.

I checked and I can get my deposit back if I withdraw before April 1st, thank goodness *phew*

I havent heard back as far as even being interviewed yet and i know a bunch of people that havent heard a thing but congrats to getting in!! what were your stats if you dont mind me asking?? and did they email you for an interview or did you get a letter? also are you a ny resident?

Thanks!

My stats: B.S. in Psychology, gpa 3.84/4.0 (graduated in June 2011)
I was a research assistant and teaching assistant in undergraduate.
Currently volunteering at NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases, 63 hours so far.

I received an email from Dr. Sabari for the interview and I've been a NY resident all my life. I'm shocked that I was accepted because I was late for the interview.

Congrats on your acceptance! I haven't heard anything yet since my interview at the beginning of the month...

Thank you!! I also interviewed with Dr. Sabari. You'll hear from them soon! Be sure to check your checklist! How was the interview?

I thought the interview went well; now I'm just nervous waiting to hear back! I've been checking my checklist too. Fingers crossed!

I thought the interview went well; now I'm just nervous waiting to hear back! I've been checking my checklist too. Fingers crossed!

Hey everyone I got email about week ago asking for fall 2011 grade report but no interview nothing since :confused:

Does anyone know approximately how long from the time the application goes "complete" is it until you are potentially notified for an interview? Also, has anyone been outright rejected without an interview? Thanks for your help!

Does anyone know approximately how long from the time the application goes "complete" is it until you are potentially notified for an interview? Also, has anyone been outright rejected without an interview? Thanks for your help!
I have an acquaintance who didn't get an interview last year. She reapplied this year and submitted by the deadline. After a couple of months she contacted them and they told that her application was on hold due to waiting on a transcript. About a week after they received it they contacted her for an interview.

I have an acquaintance who didn't get an interview last year. She reapplied this year and submitted by the deadline. After a couple of months she contacted them and they told that her application was on hold due to waiting on a transcript. About a week after they received it they contacted her for an interview.

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if your friend had a complete checklist despite the missing transcript? That happens to be my biggest fear, that I have submitted all of the required materials however, the admissions office is missing something and incorrectly updated my checklist. Ugh, this process makes me so nervous!

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if your friend had a complete checklist despite the missing transcript? That happens to be my biggest fear, that I have submitted all of the required materials however, the admissions office is missing something and incorrectly updated my checklist. Ugh, this process makes me so nervous!
Don't know, but I will see if I can find out. You should give the admissions department a call and ask them to check your application to make sure everything was submitted.

I haven't heard a peep from them....should I assume that I didn't get in?
:(

I haven't heard a peep from them....should I assume that I didn't get in?
:(
I haven't heard a peep either. But some people I know still have an interview next week. Maybe the whole process is later this year?

haven't heard a thing...I might be a little less optimistic than i was at the beginning of the year...but there's always next year...good luck to everyone!

Has anyone else heard back regarding acceptances/rejections?
It's making me nervous that there's already acceptance letters being sent out, when I was told that we would hear back mid-March?

Nope, haven't heard anything...I was told at my interview I would hear sometime in March as well.

I called downstate a week or two ago and they said they are still giving out interviews and there are going to continue to let people know by march and even april about acceptances!

Did you send thank-you letters after your interviews reiterating your passion for the program and what you will bring to the program? It can be helpful.
I would send the letter to the person you interviewed with and the head of the dept.

I have an interview coming up, so there is still hope for all of us:)

Last edited:
This is an update... I got my rejection letter today. I wasn't asked for an interview. Darn.

This is an update... I got my rejection letter today. I wasn't asked for an interview. Darn.

sorry to hear that, i also received a rejection letter today without an interview. :( not sure what went wrong but since im bound by location....ill be reapplying next year. did you get into any other schools? i applied to nyu also, thats the only other school i can go to so im crossing my fingers pretty hard!

sorry to hear that, i also received a rejection letter today without an interview. :( not sure what went wrong but since im bound by location....ill be reapplying next year. did you get into any other schools? i applied to nyu also, thats the only other school i can go to so im crossing my fingers pretty hard!

Thanks, humbling, eh?:oops: It was my top choice.
I got into Philadelphia University, and am waitlisted at Sammuell Merritt and Louisiana State, Shreveport.

SUNY downstate is a great school.

anyone here heard back from Columbia besides LVD? Congrats to LVD. It's so funny how NYU is sending out their decisions now when they said that they were going to notify applicants in APRIL. Columbia is the one who's late.......

Last edited:
I got accepted to Downstate not too long ago and was also recently accepted to NYU. I'm really torn over the whole thing.

I've heard Downstate has a fantastic program, but the area the school's in has me really concerned. I don't know if I'm being overly paranoid or if it's a just concern as I'll be taking public trans every day. Ugh.

Vigilant, I am facing the same decision

The neighborhood does concern me a little, but after thinking it over, it will not be my deciding factor. I wont be living in the area (I'm thinking of finding a place in a nicer area of Brooklyn, with the cheaper tuition I can spend a little more on rent), and wont really be staying in the area after classes.

I was talking to someone who graduated from Downstate last year, and she told me that the classes let out early enough that she felt safe taking subways everyday.

By the way, are you going to any of the classes that they invited us to? I think I'm going to Assessing Dining and Feeding, Parkinsons and Huntingtons Disease, and Pediatrics and ADLs.

I am going to take public transportation and see how I feel about the neighborhood then as well. I went there for an info session and an interview, but was too nervous during the interview to get a feel for the neighborhood.

hey, congrats on your acceptance! I'm coming too- guess we'll be classmates. I agree, it's not such a great area, I've had a chance to scope it out. But there is enough available public transportation to allow us to immediately get on the bus and get home. Plus, there are going to be tons of students who would likely be leaving at the same time as you (even if you wanted to stay in the library till midnight :) ) so that helps if you're worried about being in the neighborhood alone.

I just got my acceptance packet this Saturday from Downstate. I interviewed at the very end of February. I am super excited and cannot believe classes start in 2 months!

hey, congrats on your acceptance! I'm coming too- guess we'll be classmates. I agree, it's not such a great area, I've had a chance to scope it out. But there is enough available public transportation to allow us to immediately get on the bus and get home. Plus, there are going to be tons of students who would likely be leaving at the same time as you (even if you wanted to stay in the library till midnight :) ) so that helps if you're worried about being in the neighborhood alone.

The library is actually open 24/7 if you wanna stay overnight ;)

Vigilant, I am facing the same decision

The neighborhood does concern me a little, but after thinking it over, it will not be my deciding factor. I wont be living in the area (I'm thinking of finding a place in a nicer area of Brooklyn, with the cheaper tuition I can spend a little more on rent), and wont really be staying in the area after classes.

I was talking to someone who graduated from Downstate last year, and she told me that the classes let out early enough that she felt safe taking subways everyday.

By the way, are you going to any of the classes that they invited us to? I think I'm going to Assessing Dining and Feeding, Parkinsons and Huntingtons Disease, and Pediatrics and ADLs.

I am going to take public transportation and see how I feel about the neighborhood then as well. I went there for an info session and an interview, but was too nervous during the interview to get a feel for the neighborhood.

When are you attending the ADL class?

I opened a fb page, "SUNY Downstate Class of 2015"- trying to gather our new classmates:) request to join!

I opened a fb page, "SUNY Downstate Class of 2015"- trying to gather our new classmates:) request to join!

Technically, you're the Class of 2014 if you're starting this June. I'm in the 2013 class and I started last year.