SUNY Downstate Preresidency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apple99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one know about the pre-residency program I just saw on the SF match vacancy site? Do you think it would be a feeder into their program?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, unless you are an FMG, then there is no guarantee. I knew one of the fellows there who was an FMG - did 2 years and didn't match into the program or anywhere else ( I don't know his other stats). I had considered this position last year when it opened up but decided not to apply (I am an FMG). You basically work at the level of a PGY-1, mostly in neuro-ophth.

Is this pre residency neuro fellowship unpaid? I tried calling them in the middle of the night, wasting a lot of money on long distance call, put on hold for long and then somebody just said 'hello' and as soon as I started talking, she very abruptly hung up. :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
I am new to this. The job advert says no J1 visas. If you are FMG but need a visa, does this effectively mean you cannot apply?

I tried to inquire about a vacancy in their program but did not hear back. I do not understand why you would need a "preliminary year" for this position unless it was for a residency opening.

The pre-residency fellowship position is definitely not a guaranteed gateway to a downstate residency. it's based completely at the brooklyn VA where you act as a first year resident but there's no call. it's general ophtho clinic where you see pt's in all subspecialties (not just neuro, in fact very little neuro). it's a pretty nice and chill year if you're looking to kill a year before residency and want to get your feet wet with some clinical ophtho (no surgery). the previous fellow (a DO) applied for downstate residency twice (he did the fellowship for 2 years) and didn't get a spot either year. the previous fellow i believe didn't get one either. the current fellow previously matched at downstate before accepting the position so he doesn't really count. and yes you do get paid a decent salary i believe.

Yes, you can apply for the position but you need to have a greencard. Or you can convince them to give you an H1 by offering to pay for the visa processing fee.

Any open pgy 2 spots, or any new programs opening?