SUNY Downstate Vs Cleveland clinic for psyc residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharoh001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everybody.. i need ur help.. i would like to know which program is better for psychiatry residency? is it SUNY Downstate or cleveland clinic?.. i appreciate ur help

Members don't see this ad.

hi everybody.. i need ur help.. i would like to know which program is better for psychiatry residency? is it SUNY Downstate or cleveland clinic?.. i appreciate ur help

Downstate is a malignant place. It is in a very dangerous neighborhood - crown heights in brooklyn. The attendings that interviewed me there had very irritable and malignant attitude, 2 attendings simultaneously asking psychiatric questions in a KGB style iview as though I was being interrogated . One psychologist there told me not to rank the program, before I take a look at the "nut house" - Kings County State hospital, which , of course was not shown to the interviewees. The program is full of IMGs that prematch there - a very serious red flag, showing lack of confidence of the PD, probably for a good reason.
Also, it is in NYC which is crazy expensive, full of cold and distant people, always on the rush. If you think about doing residency in Brooklyn or Queens think about the "greatness" of the diverse city - up to 50% of your PSYCHIATRIC patients will NOT speak English, but Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Polish, Italian, e.t.c which is fine if you do Radiology, but not really if you do Psychiatry. You'll need to find translators, get phone lines e.t.c at a time when you should be getting high quality training.
I have no idea about Cleveland clinic. Never been there.

P.S. Here is a link giving an example about the quality of care in Kings County Hospital, where Downstate residents rotate.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07012008/news/regionalnews/patient_ignored_to_death_117964.htm

Last edited:
Also, it is in NYC which is crazy expensive, full of cold and distant people, always on the rush. If you think about doing residency in Brooklyn or Queens think about the "greatness" of the diverse city - up to 50% of your PSYCHIATRIC patients will NOT speak English, but Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Polish, Italian, e.t.c which is fine if you do Radiology, but not really if you do Psychiatry. [/URL]

Unless, of course, you intend to practice in an area where many of your patients don't speak English (let's say Massachusetts, California, Florida, Arizona, or Texas just for a few examples) - then the experience of working with interpreters could be seen as useful training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate is a malignant place. It is in a very dangerous neighborhood - crown heights in brooklyn. The attendings that interviewed me there had very irritable and malignant attitude, 2 attendings simultaneously asking psychiatric questions in a KGB style iview as though I was being interrogated . One psychologist there told me not to rank the program, before I take a look at the "nut house" - Kings County State hospital, which , of course was not shown to the interviewees. The program is full of IMGs that prematch there - a very serious red flag, showing lack of confidence of the PD, probably for a good reason.
Also, it is in NYC which is crazy expensive, full of cold and distant people, always on the rush. If you think about doing residency in Brooklyn or Queens think about the "greatness" of the diverse city - up to 50% of your PSYCHIATRIC patients will NOT speak English, but Russian, Spanish, Chinese, Polish, Italian, e.t.c which is fine if you do Radiology, but not really if you do Psychiatry. You'll need to find translators, get phone lines e.t.c at a time when you should be getting high quality training.
I have no idea about Cleveland clinic. Never been there.

P.S. Here is a link giving an example about the quality of care in Kings County Hospital, where Downstate residents rotate.

Is SUNY Downstate really that bad??

well yes if you are AMG
because usually IMGs dont care about place

Hi everybody.. I am the one who initiated this thread almost a year ago... I am an IMG.. I am currently doing my residency at Downstate.. I am very Happy with my choice.. and to the Guy who said that IMGs dont care about the place, well you are wrong. I got over 20 interviews from very good programs (most are univ. programs). Most of the programs i have been to, expressed interest in me. I also got couple of prematch offers, including one from cleveland clinic. I chose Downstate because i realy felt i belong there. and no, Downstate is not a malignant place. since i have been here, everybody has been nice to me. i have also been learning alot, we are so fortunate to get exposed to a vast variety of pych. pathology at downstate. we are also fortunate to get to work at the state of art R building and its huge CPEP. I would say the experience we get here is uncomparable. we also have protected time for didactics every week. so, if anyone has any inquiries about downstate psych. program, i will be happy to help.

I know an AMG who was fired after his first year because "he could not hold his weight" in the program.

Last edited:
@ pharoh001

How many AMGs do you have as colleagues?

I know an AMG who was fired after his first year because "he could not hold his weight" in the program.

That probably says more about him than about the program.

NYC which is...full of cold and distant people, always on the rush

I'd say more, but I'm busy and don't care.

I'd say more, but I'm busy and don't care.

:D

As far as CCF. Its a pretty good program.
Lots of really hot women...I didn't do psychiatry there but was familiar with the psychiatry program.
They seemed to like it. The program across the street (sort of) at Case was good too. I never went to Metro but saw a few people at dinners and they were almost all IMGs but fairly nice.

Hi there, I am a DO student and would very much like to do my psych residency at Downstate. Do you know if your program is DO-friendly? Thank you so much for any information you can give me!

The "malignant" atmosphere is part of NYC culture, to be politically correct - a sense of entitlement is prevalent.

Comparing Downstate to CCF is a crazy thought - all the best to the writer - I feel someone is working hard towards being the chief resident. Sad to hear you chose downstate over CCF. :eek::eek:
By the way little late but - Happy recruiting

Dear Pharoh001, I am interested to know about downstate...I mean any info you have for an IMG and foreign national...Thank you in advance....