Program-Specific Info / Q's SUNY Downstate waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otapplicant2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on the waitlist at downstate and I just wanted to start this thread for anyone else who's also on the waitlist, maybe we can update each other if anyone is taken off and accepted. Also maybe for those of you who got accepted but will not be attending?

Also, has anyone been on the waitlist before and gotten accepted? or is it very hard to get off downstate's waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

I was also waitlisted- my second time.
It's very hard to get accepted off the wait list. In most cases, though, if you apply again next year, you have a good chance of acceptance. (Not guaranteed)
Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
did you apply anywhere else? I only applied here which kinda sucks. Wasn't considering anything else because of the price but it's looking like I'm going to have to and apply for next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also on the Downstate waitlist and have been following these forum threads like crazy. . I am still waiting to hear a response from York - their program is 3.5 years for ~$30k. I was accepted to NYU this week (after being on their waitlist as well as Columbia's waitlist) and I'm having a really hard time swallowing the tuition cost. OT's make a decent living, but would it be enough to justify approx. $150k in loan debt? (note, I made up this estimated figure to include fees, living expenses etc).. I'm sure I'll get some scholarship money but even $20k would hardly make a dent in that figure. Any comments would be appreciated!

@PMA OT congrats on NYU!!! But I totally understand what you mean with the price tag. That's why I didn't want to apply out of state, tuition and living expenses outside of ny would be from 80-120k. Honestly, every OT I've ever spoken to always told me to go with my cheapest option. But NYU would be an awesome experience. It just really depends, is your family helping out at all?

Thanks @otapplicant2015 ! No family help.. I'm in my early 30's so this will all be on me. The DOE is definitely sounding more and more like a good option. Decisions decisions...

At DOWNSTATE?! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Did they email you??

YES! I got an email exactly like they one they sent before, something along the lines of "your decision is now available online" and I had to check it out on the apply website.

@ShaRi are you accepted too?! if you are join the fb group that was posted on the other thread, lmk if you need the link!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats @ShaRi! Did Downstate specifically request to receive your health papers a week or two ago like they did for otapplicant2015? Thanks!

Congrats @ShaRi! Did Downstate specifically request to receive your health papers a week or two ago like they did for otapplicant2015? Thanks!
They did ask me for my health papers last week.

didn't see this thread! did anyone from the wait list send in any health forms or official transcripts before they got an email requesting it?

@QueensHopeful Hey, I saw your comment on the other thread to so I'll kind of answer both here.

I sent my transcripts before they reached out to me but only because I took most of my sciences in another college and I always have a hard time having them send them out, and since a lot of my prereqs were on that trasncript I wanted to make sure they had it especially since I was waitlisted. This was back in like March? when they sent out acceptances/rejections/waitlist.

A week before I found out I was accepted, I got an email from a faculty member asking if I was still interested and if I started the process to get health clearance.

But I will say, after I was accepted I received an email from Dr. Sabari asking if I was planning to attend and to please reply asap. So I think they might still be looking into the waitlist and want to know for sure who's accepting or not that way the can go to the next set of candidates.

I was just accepted off the wait list this week :) I don't think it hurts to get your health papers and transcripts handed in, but I'm not sure if it make a difference (I got all mine in just in case though). I emailed a letter of intent to them last week and this week I was accepted so that may be something you want to explore. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
PMA OT congrats!

Just curious what you mean by a letter of intent? I sent them an email a few weeks ago letting them know I was still interested, though I haven't sent my transcripts yet. Wondering if it's too late now.

I was just accepted off the wait list this week :) I don't think it hurts to get your health papers and transcripts handed in, but I'm not sure if it make a difference (I got all mine in just in case though). I emailed a letter of intent to them last week and this week I was accepted so that may be something you want to explore. Good luck!
Hey, congratulations!!
Did you join the Facebook group yet?

PMA OT congrats!

Just curious what you mean by a letter of intent? I sent them an email a few weeks ago letting them know I was still interested, though I haven't sent my transcripts yet. Wondering if it's too late now.
Someone suggested I write a letter of intent because that's what their friend did who was on the wait list at NYU and they were accepted to NYU a week later. I just looked up a few reference samples online for mine... they just kind of talk about your accomplishments and future plans in the career you're pursuing. Transcripts are pretty cheap so might as well send them in?... When I called Downstate a few weeks ago the guy said he's seen people get accepted right up until the registration day (June 1) but it's different every year. Hope that helps and good luck!!