suny downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhop

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does anyone know - where do SUNY downstate medical students (who do not live in the dorms) live?

Members don't see this ad.

Many live west of East Flatbush (the ghetto part where Downstate is).

Park Slope is quite popular. Artsy area. One of the nicest parts of Brooklyn.

Yo I got accepted to SUNY Downstate!!! WHOOO HOOO!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many students who don't live in the dorms live in Park Slope. There are also people in Brooklyn Heights, in Flatbush, and quite a few near the Franklin Ave stop on the 2 train. A few kids also make the trek every day from Manhattan.

Many students who don't live in the dorms live in Park Slope. There are also people in Brooklyn Heights, in Flatbush, and quite a few near the Franklin Ave stop on the 2 train. A few kids also make the trek every day from Manhattan.

thanks for the response. that was really helpful!

congrats! how likely do you think you will attend? i still trying to decide myself...

As I do more and more research about the school and its reputation, I am starting to favor going to Downstate. I have come to the conclusion that it is a great school and would love to go there.

I hope that my deposit check doesnt get lost, cause I sent it in three days after I received my acceptance letter via certified mail with a return receipt.

They received my deposit, so as of right now I am going to SUNY Downstate. :D

I am a MS IV at SUNY Downstate, if any wants to ask any questions about the school, feel free to do so.

I am a MS IV at SUNY Downstate, if any wants to ask any questions about the school, feel free to do so.

Did you like your experience? Any really strong positives or negatives?

I have truly enjoyed my experience. I love the diversity of my class and the diversity of patient experiences (county and private hospital).
I loved the organ system block curriculum. The clinical experience at Downstate is terrific. You will get to see things that you thought you would only read about in books and you will get very involved in patient care. A couple of subject areas in the pre-clinical years can be improved but I think most students can pick up and cover these issues on their own.

Are standarized patients used in the preclinical years for clincal education?

Would it be a hassle to have a car in Brooklyn, if living in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are standarized patients used at all and when is the first time that a first year student gets clinical exposure?

Would it be a hassle to have a car in Brooklyn, if living in Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights?

Yes, standardized patients are used alot, beginning from 1st year. Standardized patients are used when learning how to take a medical history, patient communication exercises such as telling bad news (this is part of an essentials of clinical medicine curriculum), breast exam, female and male GU exams in 2nd year, and a mock clinical skills exam in 3rd year. Clinical exposure begins in the 1st year with preceptorship visits that are scheduled into the curriculum. I lived on campus most of my time here, but I do know that parking is pain around the school. There is a lenghty wait list for parking, though for on campus clerkships during 3rd year you will get parking. There is a new parking lot that is supposed to be in development for '07, so the parking situation may get a bit better.

this must have been mentioned during my interview day - but I can't remember. do you remember how long the day is during 1st and 2nd year (for instance, is it 9 - 5?)

thanks!

I am going to attend downstate next year. I noticed on the website that there are two housing options for first years, studio and standard room. Is it hard for first years to get the studio apartment?

All the best,
Dave

Hello,
I am from Ghana but I am an International Medical Student at Sao paulo,Brazil. I am in my 4th of a 6 years programme.

I am currently on my vacation and I came to Visit NYC. Currently staying at Brooklyn.Would like to visit the SUNY Med School and interact with some students and visit the hospital just to be able to make a comparism with what we have back in Brazil. This is important becos my mates back in Brazil would like to hear an eye witness version of how it is here.

Anybody want to help me out?

Thanks

Wow, Brazil sounds like fun! I've always wanted to visit.

If anybody knows roughly when is the day of the white coat ceremony? Is it the first day of classes or during orientation week or later?

Thanks.

Sup folks? I interviewed at Downstate on 12/20 and still waiting to hear back.. anyone interview then know whatsup? I hear Downstate takes a while... how long did it take for you guys to receive your acceptances?

I interviewed the first week in November, and just got the acceptance letter (1/21). Thats way over the 8 weeks they promised. I think its close to 12 weeks now. They said they were extremely behind. However I know applicants who interviewed the same say as I did and were accepted on 12/23. So it also depends on how organized your interviewer is, and how long it takes him to write up the interview for the ADCOM.

When is the whitecoat ceremony for first years?

Are lectures at Downstate made available on the web either in streaming video or through podcasts?

Are lecture module notes provided for each organ based system block at Downstate?

White coat ceremony is usually the thursday during orientation week.
Lectures are available on podcasts. Powerpoints/pdfs are posted on prime website.
Lectures notes are handed out before the start of each block.

Rosielo have you heard of a summer program before the first year called "Operation Success"? Becuase I got a letter in the mail concerning this program.

Its a 6 week program that starts in june and ends in july to help first years adjust to the rigors of the first year of medical school.

Can you tell me a little about this program if you have heard of it?

Thanks.

Hey all, I finally get to join one of these threads since I got my acceptance letter today.

The summer program sounds very interesting. I think I would attend if it works out because I need to get back in touch with the schedule of school, refresh my memory on some basic stuff, etc.

Welcome Chable... look forward to meeting you as a new classmate.

I am EXCITED to begin school. But I have so much to do before I hit the books/classes for the next 4-8 years.

Thank you AlbertTheGator, I look forward to being classmates with you as well. I am still in disbelief about my acceptance and it will take some more time for it to settle in. But it's okay, I have never been as happy in my life, because now I can plan out the rest of my life and all of my doubts and uncertainties have been dissolved.

Chable

So...I interviewed @ Downstate on 1/4, and I really liked the school. However, I'm not sure how well my interview went (I didn't really hit my groove). I wrote a thank you note to the interviewer saying how much I liked the school and talking about the clinical experience and whatnot, which I think is pretty standard. I was wondering if anyone else did anything more, or if you guys think writing another letter would be worth it?
Thanks!

I wrote a letter of intent to the admissions committee but I made sure I was definite about the school.

Did you say "if you let me in I will 100% come"? In my earlier letter I said something like "it would be very hard to not come" but I'm not ready to 100% commit.

For those sure about attending in the fall, where are you from? Just curious about future classmates.

Yo I am from beautiful, sunny Florida, Tampa... to be exact.... went to UF for undergrad and got a master's at Drexel in Philly.

So apparently I was right that my interview wasn't super...I just got a letter from Downstate saying that I'm in the "Hold for Spring Consideration" category. Does anyone know how many people Downstate normally accepts from this category (1%, 10%, 100%). Any concrete answers would be much much much appreciated.

Bobcat05: I'm not familiar with the term but I wish you good luck.

OP/bhop: Can you add to the thread title "Class of 2011" please?

Hi guys, I've also been accepted to the Downstate Class of '11!

I'm 75/25 that I'm going to attend (choosing b/w AECOM and Downstate). I'm trying to find evidence that Downstate students do just as well as AECOM students during the match process b/c I really want to go to Downstate (want to live in Brooklyn instead of the Bronx and in-state tuition is a huge draw). I have looked at the match lists for both schools but I don't know much about residency programs so they don't really tell me much.

Where do Downstate students do there Pediatric training? As of right now I think I want to do a pediatric residency followed by a fellowship in Allergy/Immunology or Endocrinology or something else. I really liked the The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore at AECOM and was wondering if Downstate had something similar.

Thanks for the help...look forward to meeting everyone!

Congratulations DrLeoMarvin!

I'm afraid I don't know much about pediatric training. Sorry.

Whatever decision you make, it's a win/win situation. Both are great schools.

I'm in at SUNY Downstate. I think I'm going to go. I'm glad to see there's a class thread, I'd like to find out more about the school too from anyone there.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that I currently reside in Boston, MA. Anyone else in Boston planning to matriculate at SUNY downstate this year?

am I the only one who is psyched about starting up at SUNY Downstate this August? :confused:

Surely some SDN readers must be planning to go here?

You guys can see the current schedules for every week of first and second year at this website: http://ect.downstate.edu/

It's on the right under Calendars.

am I the only one who is psyched about starting up at SUNY Downstate this August? :confused:

Surely some SDN readers must be planning to go here?

I'm pretty excited. I think I'm going to create an official class of 2011 downstate thread since the OP hasn't changed the title to this thread.

Where do you plan to live, newnewyorker? And where are you from originally?

I'm from Queens but I plan to dorm. Don't like the costs but I'd rather just stay close to the school than find a place that's cheaper/farther.

hey chable. I grew up in the suburbs of a well-known city alongside the Mississippi River.

I'm all in favor of a new class thread. this one's a mess!

I would live in the dorm too, but I like having a kitchen & bathroom to myself. Right now I live in a studio near Boston and I love it. Not to mention the huge incentive for me to obtain NY residency status. I can't think of a sweeter deal in the medical school world.

SUNY Downstate is such an amazing place. A lot of people haven't heard of it, but it seems that anyone who knows anything about it gives it a lot of respect. I seem to have impressed more people by my success with SUNY Downstate than I have by getting interviews at some much better known private schools.

Maybe that's because they have an appreciation for what Downstate is doing for its community. That's certainly what attracted me to the place. I feel it is such a privilege for me to be admitted to a school like SUNY. Its essentially like the state of New York is saying "yes, I will fund a large part of your medical education." Naturally I wish to chip in and help any community that will make such an offer to me.

And what a community Brooklyn is! I can't say I've spent much time there but I know it is a fantastic place. Think about it: why have we decided to become doctors? To me, medicine is about helping people overcome and/or cope with the incredibly vast array of problems that originate in the human body.

Really, I just want to help build some enthusiasm for SUNY Downstate class of 2011. Have we forgotten how fortunate we are to become medical students? Those among us who cling to hopes of attending a world-renowned school, I beg of you, please consider your reasons for embarking on this difficult journey to a career in medicine, and ask yourself what instution best manifests your reasons? If it is Downstate, then join me in celebrating our success!

I am really excited about going to school in Brooklyn and just to be finally starting on the journey to become a doctor.

albertthegator I know what you mean. The first year of medical school is going to be very challenging, but with so much potential for growth. We've worked so hard to get here and now here we are. The four years that make up medical school could be the greatest years of our life. :)

hey everyone,
i'm a first year at downstate, i live on campus, if anyone has questions...msg me, as i prob wont look at this thread again, i'd be happy to answer questions.

Hey everyone,

I made an official Downstate Class of 2011 thread for those who will be or might be attending.

Hi all, I am a fourth year med student here at Downstate. I've been living in my current apartment for the past 3.5 years, but I have to leave this apartment for my residency training.

If you are looking to live in Park Slope, I have a great deal for you. I am willing to sell all my furnitures (TV, full size bed, dresser, L shaped computer desk, microwave, a fan with a remote control, honeywell air purifier, Bissell wet/dry floor cleaner, a new unopened lexmark printer, two book cases, a microscope which you will NEED for your histo class, a littmann stethocope, Harrison Internal Med textbooks, and much more) for 500 dollars. If you decide to rent this studio apartment from my landlord (which has NO broker's fee), you don't even need to worry about moving all these furnitures!

Let me know if you are interested in buying my furnitures! You can reach me at [email protected]

hey whats the parking situation? if no spots are available, is there parking anywhere in the immediate area on the street?