SUNY Upstate vs SUNY Downstate 2015 Edition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TabletTold92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There seems to be like one of these every other month, so please bear with me.

I'm incredibly lucky to be in this position, where I need to make a choice and I understand that. Would appreciate some feedback as I do so.

UPSTATE
Pros:
Gorgeous school, scenic and picturesque
Very friendly staff
Would get a lot of support from several friends who are already enrolled (MS2 - MS3)
Binghamton option gives better options to get to know attendings during clinical years
More in my "comfort zone," I don't have much experience in diverse neighbourhoods.
Fell for this Hal Cohen professor, this guy was amazing at my interview.
Newish facilities/equipment
Low cost of apartments/student housing relative to NYC

Cons:
Less likely to get a diverse patient experience
Far from the NYC area
(Background: I have a strong interest in oncology and I have a mentor who's agreed to work with me and he's in Manhattan. Although the program is meant to work with distance communication, it would theoretically ideal to be closer).
*please feel free to mention any other cons, I can't think of much.

DOWNSTATE:
Pros:
Incredibly close to the city/my mentor
Great hospital experiences for clinical years
Diverse patient population to work with

Cons:
Not so great neighbourhood in Brooklyn
One of the nearby hospitals is closing (can someone speak on this, a friend of mine was interviewing for residency and was told this)
Not as much senior support; my friends here are all just starting out like me
Very high cost of living for a safe apartment (parents won't consent to anything else) or pretty much any apartment (NYC is so expensive)

Notes:
I'm not discussing match lists because where I end up is strongly determined by what I'm looking for (internal medicine), my scores and my letters and less on the school itself.
Because I have an oncology mentor, I will be able to round at the hospital in Manhattan whenever I can get away and the bus ride is not that serious to me.

So anyway, input is very helpful. Thanks all! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you like Upstate a lot better.

So if you're looking for confirmation, go for Upstate!

man, i would love to be in your situation. Right now i'm accepted to upstate, hold for spring consideration at downstate. I did not love the facilities or the location of downstate. Flatbush was a bit more rundown than I had anticipated, and riding a 2 train from manhattan to downstate was just a terrible experience (long story). Also, I did airbnb and stayed in an apartment a block away from downstate and again, was kinda shocked by how much the apartment sucked. Like, I know NYC apartments generally tend to be terrible bc my sister lived in NYC for the past 5 years and I used to visit her a lot, but this was like whole another level of terribleness (i.e. no elevator, and having to climb the stairs for 5 levels, tiny bathroom, etc). I guess this won't be a problem if you stay in downstate housing, but if you venture outside near downstate area, seems like options are bit limited, i think? On the other hand, seemed like downstate had really good clinical experiences, and seemed like med students went to great residencies around NYC area.

Upstate surprised me bc yea as you said everyone was super friendly, and seemed like everyone went out their ways to make interviewees feel welcome. Seemed super chilled and relaxed environment. Also upstate med hospital, golisano, new cancer center, etc seemed quite impressive. The vibe i got from Upstate was that it was expanding, I think they built new neuroscience center as well in 2013. Also if you are in syracuse campus then seemed like everything was just right there for you in the upstate med campus area. Also seemed like match list was more diverse, like all around the country, rather than NYC focus of downstate match list.

In the end, it's totally your decision and where you think you'd be the happiest. My personal feeling was that everything was a bit better at upstate except for the location (NYC, duh) and clinical experiences (again, duh, bc where else will you get diverse clinical experience). Anyways, I'm more of a city person, I grew up in an urban environment since I was young, so if downstate accepted me, I'd attend there despite its shortcomings, grimy apartments and rundown surroundings not withstanding. But again, the decision is yours. I don't think you can go wrong at either places. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm well Ilana from Downstate seemed really nice, when I was confirming my interview...

I guess I'll find out, I'm a little wary now with all the above about the location and the apartment conditions... :/

Hmm well Ilana from Downstate seemed really nice, when I was confirming my interview...

I guess I'll find out, I'm a little wary now with all the above about the location and the apartment conditions... :/
I think the ghettoness of the neighborhood is a little hyped up, but I only think that because I've lived in the city my whole life. I can understand how someone who is used to living in a suburban area would be a little rattled walking through the neighborhood at certain hours of the day/night.