SUNY vs. NECO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wobble

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I was hoping you guys would offer your perspective on what school I should choose. I got accepted to both SUNY and NECO and really don't know which to pick. If anyone could offer some insights on why they chose to go to NECO or SUNY over other schools I would really appreciate it.

Also, I'm a Canadian applicant and NECO gave me a scholarship so it would be the cheaper of the two options.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say go with the scholarship!! The optometrist I shadow with has also told me from what she has seen NECO graduates come out knowledgeable and well-rounded.

Reactions: 1 user
I would go with the cheaper option. Both schools are great but SUNY has a crazy expensive out of state tuition rate. Ultimately it comes down to where you feel most comfortable but you should consider Student debt in the long run as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Has anyone heard anything negative about NECO?

Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it. Has anyone heard anything negative about NECO?
Did you visit both schools? What I liked about SUNY was that their clinic was located in the same building as there classes. In Neco you have to travel outside the school to reach the clinic which is not super convenient. SUNY overall has a better reputation.

Did you visit both schools? What I liked about SUNY was that their clinic was located in the same building as there classes. In Neco you have to travel outside the school to reach the clinic which is not super convenient. SUNY overall has a better reputation.

Yes I did visit both schools for my interview. The difference in price will be 60K which is why I think I should go with NECO. I do agree that I love SUNY and its super convenient that everything is in one building. However... the price is way too expensive especially for out-of-state. NECO is 20K cheaper in tuition alone.

So for price alone, then I would choose Neco. The end result will be the same. You will become an optometrist nevertheless. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm going to SUNY lol

So for price alone, then I would choose Neco. The end result will be the same. You will become an optometrist nevertheless. Maybe I'm just biased because I'm going to SUNY lol

Yeah, thats what im thinking too. I really wanna go to SUNY, it was honestly my first choice but weighing the difference in price... made me change my mind. It will be my debt that i would have to pay off in the end, and 60K USD converted to CAD right now is 73K. So thats a lot of money.