Super Frustrated with Dental Anatomy of 1st Maxillary Molars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flegg

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what book or reference material we are supposed to use to study this for NBDE 1? There are SO many conflicting pieces of information out there among all the texts and review books.

Examples:

The groove that crosses oblique ridge - is this a transverse groove (Woelfel) or a distal groove (Brand)??

Are we responsible for knowing that Brand and maybe one other author calls the combination of the lingual groove and the distal oblique grooves a Distolingual groove?

I've seen on some old study materials that the 1st maxillary molar is considered to be the one tooth that tapers to the facial and hence is the one tooth that has larger facial than lingual embrasures, however I can't find any books that currently say this??? So how am I supposed to know the order of the embrasure sizes for this tooth (ML>DL>DB>MB????)??

Maybe I just shouldn't care because the boards are pass no pass now? Maybe because they realized how dumb some of this stuff is?

Members don't see this ad.

If the anatomy of the first Mx Molar is your only hang-up, you'll be fine.
You're beating yourself up over one question out of 200, if that.