Super Long Hiatus + No More Medicine

futuresurgeon00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I went on a super long hiatus and after tons of struggling and contemplating everything...I have decided not to go into medicine. This kinda makes my username awkward - but I'm not going to change it....so..yup.

I am now going into International Business - and honestly I am doing so much better than last year. My average has gone up by like 15 percent (that might be b/c I wasn't on SDN for a long time) and I absolutely love business.

I still love medicine - so I became a lifeguard, and I still volunteer at the hospital. I will still continue to post here - though mostly after June (I am taking 4 courses + night school + I have work...so I only come home by 10:30 pm every night.)

Applied to:

Ryerson University Business Technology Management (Accepted)
University of GuelphUniversity of Guelph-Humber - Honours Bachelor of Business Administration AND Diploma in Business Administration (Accepted)
University of Ontario Institute of Technology Commerce (Accepted)
York University Schulich School of Business: International Business Administration (Waiting)
Wilfrid Laurier University Business Administration (BBA) (Waiting)
Western University: Media, Information & Technoculture (Waiting)
University of Toronto Rotman Commerce (Waiting)
University of Toronto Scarborough Co-op Management and International Business (Interview)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Great... just dealing with issues concerning money right now. Never thought I'd be in this situation.

I'm glad everything is working out!I wish you luck with your new direction.
Thanks :) I'm glad it's all working out too! I'm still super stressed...but it's getting better :)

Great... just dealing with issues concerning money right now. Never thought I'd be in this situation.
I'm glad it's going well. Hopefully the money situation solves itself soon...(If you haven't noticed - I've turned from a cynic into a totally optimistic person :)!)

What influenced your decision?
There were a factor of things. One of them was my grades. I didn't do well in my sciences at all. My average was extremely low - and I was working pretty hard. I actually started to dislike my classes and dread my courses. However, I was still adamant to go into science. I completed my bronze cross and NLS and became a certified lifeguard. When my grandma was diagnosed with breast cancer, that just solidified my decision more. I wanted to go into surgical oncology. I spent a month with her in California, and was even more convinced. However, my family was not at all. They all tried to convince me to go into accounting and business and I didn't want to at all. Then the doctors messed up with my grandma. They forgot about her medications and it counteracted with her chemo and she ended up collapsing in front of me. I was with her till EMS, and monitored her - and when EMS came they asked me if I was a med student. I said I was a lifeguard and that's when I realized. I hate science. I absolutely do. I hated the studying and I was honestly not motivated at all. I realized that I love to help people - I love the adrenaline rush I get and I love seeing them recover. So I decided I would continue to lifeguard and volunteer in hospitals. I also decided - I would not take science courses anymore, because honestly I sucked at it. So, when I came back from Cali, my principal (who is amazing - and I absolutely love him + there is no better principal ever!!!!) changed my entire schedule. I was still a bit hesitant on my first few days - but when I was in my Business leadership class - I loved it. I absolutely excelled in that class. This year, my average has gone up by around 13%. I have extra curricular activities, two jobs - and I have learned how to balance. (Sorry for the huge rant - I feel like Ted Mosby - btw...did anyone watch the finale? Thoughts?).....

Reactions: 1 users