Superstitions... what say you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daiphon

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey.

Having a fun conversation with my off-service tonight about ED superstitions...

My biggies are: never say qu¡et, sl0w, or bu$y (I can't even bring myself to write them out properly while working).

What others do everyone else have?

-d

Members don't see this ad.

If the patient is nice, they've got cancer.

By preparing for an emergency, we can prevent it ("warding off evil spirits" is commonly stated as the reason to bring an airway cart to a procedural sedation).

Reactions: 1 user
If you plan to do something within two hours of the end of your shift, you will get a coding train wreck (who will inevitably have ROSC) in the last 15 minutes of your shift.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is a little thing: I always bring in 2 ABG kits. If you only bring in one, you'll miss and have to go get another.

Oh, and when I was at HOME the other day, I said the Q-word and had a moment of "Oh crap! Did I just say that?? It's gonna jinx my shift tomorrow night!"

If the patient is nice, they've got cancer.

Truest of the truths. And it sucks.

As an extension: the more rational, the more quiet, and the more respectful a patient is...the more likely you are to find serious pathology.

Reactions: 2 users
Never say anything "should be easy" - "oh that intubation should be easy" - better f-king get your cric tray out, always expect the worst, if you don't, you'll get it.

Better know your patients tattoo/tooth ratio, otherwise the number will equal their likelihood of demanding dilaudid.

Reactions: 3 users
Never say, "I'm just gonna pick up one more 'quickie'" with 5 min left in your shift. That guarantees it will be a four hour dysmorphic train-wreck, too disastrous to sign out.