Supervision of other students APPIC Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cara susanna

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm really confused... Time2Track lists "Supervision of other students" under intervention hours, but then its description for intervention hours says that supervision doesn't count. So, does anyone know if it counts as intervention hours or not? I'm asking because my current placement includes quite a few hours of supervising first year students.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No, I don't think they generally count as intervention hours. There's a separate catch-all type section on the APPIC application that includes time spent supervising other students/trainees; intervention hours are reserved for those spent directly with clients.

Members don't see this ad :)
on the APPIC application there is an Intervention category. The Intervention category is broken down into subcategories: individual, career, group, family, school, and other. Then there is an "Other Psychological Experience with Students and/or Organizations," which includes supervision of other students and categories like program development. All of this gets automatically calculated into direct hours. However, anyone reviewing your application will easily review the breakdown of those hours.

Take home message: you want a diverse set of experiences on your application, which is greatly helped by having peer supervision hours. However, if you have 500 peer supervision hours and 100 individual therapy hours that is a red flag.

Thanks, everyone. It's annoying that they include it under intervention on T2T if that doesn't match up with APPIC (which T2T is supposed to do!)

Then there is an "Other Psychological Experience with Students and/or Organizations,"

So that is separate from or part of the Intervention category?

So that is separate from or part of the Intervention category?
Part of.

its is one of the subcategories. Each subcategory has its own set of subcategories. Here is the exact order:
INTERVENTION HOURS
Individual Therapy
Career Counseling
Group Counseling
Family Therapy
Couples Therapy
School Counseling Interventions
Other Psychological Interventions
Other Psychological Experience with Students and/or Organizations

Yeah, I was also pretty sure it counted as intervention hours now (or at least I'm hoping so, since its what bumps me up over 500!). I think this was a recent change though, as someone who applied 2 rounds ago told me it wouldn't. Hopefully they won't change it again next year.

Thanks Ollie and DD, that makes sense if it's a recent change. Good to know!