Supervision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autumn7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my first semester at a well-ranked MSW program. I interviewed for and accepted an excellent field placement in the psychiatry department. However, my supervisor happens to be newly licensed. This concerns me, because I came to school specifically seeking the best clinical training for MSWs, with the hopes of doing psychotherapy. I've worked in a psychiatry department before, and I found it to be pretty intense, so I'm very interested in having an experienced supervisor.

Given that my field placement is a full year, this field experience is a big part of what I'm paying for. Had I waited another year and applied for funding at other clinical program, I can't help but wonder if I might be getting better training, and incurring less debt. Are my concerns well-founded? Or should I be less concerned about the supervision, given that the psychiatry department is already well ranked?

Members don't see this ad.

The upside to someone newer to the field is that they should be up to date on EBTs, though they may not be as seasoned with the supervision/mentorship relationship. This is something worth discussing with your Director of Clinical Training and/or a professor that you trust.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with T4C--while time in the field can certainly be one indirect indicator of the quality of a supervisor, it's neither a necessary nor specific characteristic. I've heard it mentioned multiple times, for example, that post-docs often make the best supervisors because they have the time and energy to spend, and they're still involved in training themselves. The same could be said for new faculty; they're freshly removed from training, and so they're still likely in touch with the sorts of things they liked and/or wanted to get out of supervision.

As T4C mentioned, the biggest stumbling block is usually in properly moderating the supervisor-supervisee relationship. Some folks naturally fall into that role while others have to work at it a bit.

However, by and large, I wouldn't automatically discount this person simply because they're newly-licensed.

Reactions: 1 user
I would not worry about it unless some red flags pop up. My supervisor is semi-new as well but is incredibly knowledgeable in the field.

Reactions: 1 users