Supplemental Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mereafterthough

Cornell DVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't started writing my supplemental essays but just by taking a look at all of them i can tell that a lot of them are asking questions i'll be answering in my PS. Thus, i was wondering when writing these essays do I just copy and paste from my PS and elaborate? or come up with whole new answers for these committees that will wow them? I know they don't want me to repeat myself, i don't want to either. What did you peeps do in regards to this? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't really started on my supplementals yet! But I plan to come up with new information to give. If in your personal statement it is just a sentence or two blurb, I would use the situation/event/whatever and extrapolate. I would not copy and paste anything though. I think copying and pasting gives the impression that you were being lazy. Writing a new sentence to give the same information should not be that difficult after writing the PS! JMO! :) If you gave details in your PS, then I would come up with something else. Especially if you can't offer new information.

This is our chance to show them who we are. Take every possibility to let them get to know you.

Avoid copying and pasting...some of the supplements even say at the top, "do not copy and paste your PS". Their goal is to get to know you as much as possible, and seeing as the PS is only 5000 characters, they want more!! Show yourself to them!! And be creative!!!

There will be redundancy, don't worry too much about repeating yourself. Focus on each question indiviually, if you happen to say the same thing twice it really isn't that big of a deal. CSU has an extensive supplemental, I repeated a lot of things that I said in my personal statement. Sometimes reiterating your strong points is not always a bad idea.