****************Support Group for WAITLISTED applicants*****************

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Theo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought that I would start this thread as a place where all us waitlisted's could come and visit and support each other throughout this EXTENSIVE waiting time.

What are some ways you are coping with the stress and the mental anxiety that accompanies the only answer we seem to be getting...."just wait"?

Members don't see this ad.

working 35-45 hours a week helps. Well that and the fact that I went through it last year. Also I do have an acceptance to a great school...so I guess I am not one to complain at all. But I know how you all feel for sure, it sucks to wait and wait and wait, having no power! Stick together!

working 35-45 hours a week helps. Well that and the fact that I went through it last year. Also I do have an acceptance to a great school...so I guess I am not one to complain at all. But I know how you all feel for sure, it sucks to wait and wait and wait, having no power! Stick together!

Ya...i'm working 40 hours a week and it's not helping...i still feel like i'm just waiting around being useless!!!!Maybe i should get another job and work 80 hours a week!!!! hahaha .... my wife and kids would hate that!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please listen carefully.....................

I was a wait-listee like you all last year at two schools (PM for specifics).

I waited until the last week before the class started at one school, THEN BOOM, got acceptance call.

I told them that I couldnt because of personal reasons, and then BOOM, got off the wait-list at the other school!! (which started like 3 weeks later)

What Im trying to say is that....there is hope. Believe me. If you want it bad enough, you will get in.

I think what I did with my idle time before acceptance is what got me in...

PM if you need some help/ideas.

ive been through it all and done it all..

But all im trying to say is, be hopeful. ALOT of people come off waitlists....good luck to you all.:thumbup:

I "support" you Theo. Hope you get in bro!!! :luck:

Thanks Jiga and denticus and dentist. All of you accepted guys and gals are my heros.

Hang in there guys and gals. I'm sure you'll hear good news.

It's only February, so don't worry too much yet. I was accepted in early July a couple of years ago after havinig already submitted my application for the next cycle! I made the mistake of only applying to 4 schools when I applied and ended up on three waitlists, but it worked out in the end. If after May you still haven't been accepted or rejected, let the school(s) know you are still interested so they know who to call if a spot opens up at the last minute. :) Also, its not a bad idea to start thinking about how you might be able to improve your application over the next few months incase you need to reapply.

It's only February, so don't worry too much yet. I was accepted in early July a couple of years ago after havinig already submitted my application for the next cycle! I made the mistake of only applying to 4 schools when I applied and ended up on three waitlists, but it worked out in the end. If after May you still haven't been accepted or rejected, let the school(s) know you are still interested so they know who to call if a spot opens up at the last minute. :) Also, its not a bad idea to start thinking about how you might be able to improve your application over the next few months incase you need to reapply.

This is turning into a great thread!!! Thanks for all the great comments!!! I think i might have been going through a low point when I created this thread. Today I'm feeling much better about things to a degree. I had a talk with a friend last night and he gave me a lot of hope!!! Thanks Dr. Smiles!!!!!

Hey everyone make sure you come in here and post acceptances if you are accepted off a waitlist!!! It will defiantly give us still on waitlists a glimmer of hope!!! GOOD LUCK ALL!!!

I feel a lot better too, thanks Theo for the thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel a lot better too, thanks Theo for the thread

anytime...if you just need someone to talk to or bounce ideas off i'm always here and you can pm me too! We all need to stick together!!!!!

Hey, let's also start listing the schools that we are currently on the waitlist!

I'll go first......... I'm waiting on Marquette!!!! Send me some love Marquette!

I'm waiting on SA. Very sad and stressed out.

I am waitlisted at UCSF- its killing me. Luckily I am number 2...now it is the painful wait period until I get the call saying i'm in...:scared:

Waitlisted at Pacific...we don't find out how we are ranked for a month or two:confused:

#3 alternate at Indiana. Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

What's everyone doing to pass the time and to keep your mind off being to stressed out???

Alternate at MWU but they don't tell you where you stand so I don't even know what to expect. I'm hoping to make it to the alternate list at IUPUI and I hope I can just get into Buffalo after I interview there next week. Three interviews.... three strikes your out, or third times a charm? Three can be interpreted either way. I'm hoping for a charm.

Alternate at Buffalo, I'm really hoping for a friendly call from them. I also figure i'm waitlisted at Boston since i interviewed the first week of november and haven't heard anything from them since..but i do have an interview to pitt next week so i've trying to think about my other interviews and figure out what went wrong with them so i can try to improve for pitt..

I am also waitlisted for Buffalo . Do anyone know how waitlist works at buffalo? is it ranked ???

Yeh I hope all of us get in !!! gluck everyone

Just got the letter today. waitlisted at San Antonio, but they don't tell you where you are on the list so it is a guessing game from here on out.

i am sort of waitlisted - "on hold" at case :(
i am really hoping their class isn't full before they re-review

anyone else on hold?

I am waiting on UMD. It is very depressing. I had an interview in November and did not hear anything from them since.:(

I am also waitlisted for Buffalo . Do anyone know how waitlist works at buffalo? is it ranked ???

Yeh I hope all of us get in !!! gluck everyone

yeah it is a ranking system but they won't tell you where you are on it so don't bother asking..i called and talked to dr brown and he told me that some years they never even went to the alternate list to take students off but others they went to it multiple times so idk what to think from that :(

Is there anyone else here that is just getting the "wait" signal from MARQUETTE???? If so, what are your thoughts on our chances to make it from the "waiting" pile?

Wow, no one's posted a comment for a day. Is there not very many people on SDN that are waitlisted. Most of you must be in. Congrats.

Is everyone on a waitlist somewhere planning on re-applying for the 09 cycle?

I'm still up in the air for my situation, this is my second time already and I'm not sure i have the time, patience or MONEY to go a third time.

What is everyone else's situation?

waiting on NYU and UMDNJ :-\

waiting sucks

but I will be reapplying '09

waiting is an awareness brought on by the absence doing - so if you find something to do you will not be waiting

For anyone in toroto - U of T has a two year Masters in Dentistry Program - it might be worth a look if you want to improve your chances - I might take a look at it myself

waitlisted at UIC.

my second time applying too, theo. not sure what i'll do next year...trying to figure out what to do now

For anyone in toroto - U of T has a two year Masters in Dentistry Program - it might be worth a look if you want to improve your chances - I might take a look at it myself

I looked into this program as well last year, and I didn't get a good vibe (almost a hostile one) when I told the student representatives that I was hoping to pursue dentistry and was thinking of applying to this program in the meantime to help improve my application.

Thanks for your comments everyone over the weekend! I got a really good confirmation this weekend that if i don't get in this year, something will come around and i'll be able to take care of my family. I think I have decided if this year doesn't work out then I'm not going to try for a third cycle! i know drsmiles, you're going to kill me, but it's what i "FEEL" is right.

Theo:
I know i don't know you, but one of my friends told me something that's very simple and didn't mean anything to me until over a year later when I found something I really wanted to do with my life. Everytime I feel discouraged and started accepting the life i have right now I just remember his comment, "Follow your dreams man..." (As you can see it was half-heart felt, but still man to man). Don't just accept it, look forward, and if you truly want to get into dentistry, this phrase might actually mean something to you. If it doesn't, maybe you need to rethink your situation. I wanted to go to marquette this year, but it's not going to happen. Am i dissapointed i didn't get in? I sure as hell am!

So look at yourself. What is your dream? If dentistry is in it, then "follow your dreams man."

Enough sappyness, i need to grab a fruit rollup and watch some A-Team.

I am waitlisted at WVU. I am in state so hopefully I will hear something. I am wondering if I should call the school and ask if they do rank, if the waitlist is seperated by instate and out of state. They are taking anywhere from 31-40 in state students this year (they have 50 seats). Do you think it would look like I am a pest to call and ask how their waitlist works?

waitlisted at NYU..will be starting a Masters in Dental Science at McGill University in August if I don't get in.

Hello Everyone,

I just found out that I am waitlisted in Creighton... I'm really freaking out and hoping that I will get accepted... anyone else has been waitlisted at Creighton. Do you guys know what are the chances of getting in?

oh one more question? What do you think I should do in order to increase my chances of getting in?

I'm waiting too, on THREE... :: sigh ::

waitlisted in columbia, waiting on Penn (interviewed recently)

I am not planning to reapply though cause I know I will get in this year.:) it just feels like the right timing for me.

This is my second time applying, and looking back, I am sooo happy I didn't get in last year, because a LOT of good things happened to me, some of which even transformed my life...

If you don't get in, that's because there are reasons for that. It's all about timing. Just stay hopeful and confident! If you want it bad enough, if you are sure, from deep down in your heart, that this is your PURE desire, you will make it eventually.

Just stay strong and positive! You all deserve to live a life of victory. :)

I'm waitlisted at UW and waiting. I'm grateful that I have other acceptances, but UW is my #1 pick. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get that call. Good luck to everyone waitlisted or simply just waiting for some status decision to be made.:D:luck::hardy:

Wait listed for MWU, hope i get in.. i'm going to pray really hard this week .. hope for the best. I really want to go to this school!

I am in for an alternate position at UOP, my number one choice. I hope I will get in this year so I don't have to reapply. Good luck to everyone.

So here's my story: (3rd time reapplying btw)

I applied the first time and got rejected from MD. In order to strengthen my application I took the Kaplan class and significantly improved my DAT scores and then applied again and got an interview in November! I was soooo THRILLED! :D A couple months later, I heard back from MD saying they were putting me on the waiting list which I was still happy with. Unfortunately, I never made it off the waiting list and so I had to reapply this year.... The most difficult part of it was getting so close and then having to go through the application process all over again.

In this past year I studied to become a Dental Assistant and have been working full-time for the past year as an assistant to a general dentist and an endodontist at a fairly large private practice. I have learned sooo much in this past year and I know that my experience is going to be a huge asset to me in dental school and even in practice. I truly love dentistry and absolutely cannot wait for my chance to begin dental school. So I had my second interview in late February and now I am just waiting patiently and praying hard.

It's been a tough road, but dentistry is my passion I am never giving up. Not everything in life will be handed to you on a silver platter - you have to work hard for it and eventually your time will come. It is all a game of patience and persistence.

Waitlisted at USC, Creighton and maybe UNLV. :( I can't wait any longer, dont they know what they are doing to me.

I applied the first time and got rejected from MD. In order to strengthen my application I took the Kaplan class and significantly improved my DAT scores and then applied again and got an interview in November! I was soooo THRILLED! :D A couple months later, I heard back from MD saying they were putting me on the waiting list which I was still happy with. Unfortunately, I never made it off the waiting list and so I had to reapply this year.... The most difficult part of it was getting so close and then having to go through the application process all over again.

In this past year I studied to become a Dental Assistant and have been working full-time for the past year as an assistant to a general dentist and an endodontist at a fairly large private practice. I have learned sooo much in this past year and I know that my experience is going to be a huge asset to me in dental school and even in practice. I truly love dentistry and absolutely cannot wait for my chance to begin dental school. So I had my second interview in late February and now I am just waiting patiently and praying hard.

It's been a tough road, but dentistry is my passion I am never giving up. Not everything in life will be handed to you on a silver platter - you have to work hard for it and eventually your time will come. It is all a game of patience and persistence.
I applied to MD twice. At least this cycle I got an interview in November, but no acceptance yet. I have called and they told me that my file is still under the consideration of the commitee. I am not sure what it means. Does it mean I am waitlisted? Do they tell you that you are waitlisted right away or they wait untill the last day of acceptances and then tell you that you are waitlisted? I would really like to know. :confused:

I couldn't agree more, as I have a similar story. 3rd year applicant, I was alternate isted at my number 1 choice during the first cycle. I took graduate classes, did more shadowing, volunteering, research and reapplied. I interviewed at the same school, and got rejected straight up! Continued taking classes, and applied again this year, interviewed again and was put on the alternate list.

About a week after calling to find out I was placed on the alternate list, they called me back to offer me a spot. It's basically about perseverance, as I was already getting ready to improve my application for the next cycle.

Best of luck to everyone!

I'm waitlisted at UNLV, ASDOH, Creighton and I just interviewed with Maryland. Sheesh, between all of those, you'd think that someone would accept me!

:(:(I am waitlisted too...at Florida. I just got the letter and it said they have a ranked list but they wouldn't tell us where we stand. I even called today to see if they would tell me how many people they have on there and they said they couldn't tell me that either:( I was really upset last night but know I just gotta hang on and keep praying. I have no idea how many people are on there but this is my second time applying after getting waitlisted again last year and this is my only interview....I even think about reapplying right now. I just don't know if I can try another year...but hey I know we all just have to stay positive right:oops:
Good luck everyone!!!:luck: