Supreme Court Ruling on Licensing Board.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneNeuroDoctor

Clinical Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I am reading the information on the internet correctly related to the NC Dental Board ruling by the Supreme Court, licensing board may now be sued without having State Immunity.

Is this good or bad as it may change the whole process of licensing? Some State Psychology Board are very restrictive from my experience to the point of office staff being rude and demeaning to applicants during the application and Oral exam process.

Will licensing boards have to change their protocols now due to potential lawsuits?

I believe that many licensing boards make it more difficult to apply by having high application fees and making it a slow process. Often phone calls are not returned and I have heard that paperwork was lost requiring the person to resubmit everything. Some State Boards are very restrictive and give preferences to graduates from their State Universities.

With some Psychology Boards there is a mindset of superiority by staff and Board members and Psychologist holding license in adjoining States are not approved for license in the neighboring State.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some State Psychology Board are very restrictive from my experience to the point of office staff being rude and demeaning to applicants during the application and Oral exam process.

Lawsuits for being rude? Are you serious? Its poor form, but nothing illegal about it.

And you have a proof of discriminatory licensing practices? What exactly is that final statement based on? Something you heard form one of you fiends one time?

Last edited:
I live close to the border of four States and I am licensed in the State where I live. I am in the process of applying in two of the other three States and it has been a difficult process as the other two states are less than cooperative. I have talked with other psychologist and they have had similar experiences with staff being rude and demeaning to applicants. We are applicants from accredited programs with above standards qualifications.

If applicants are now denied licensure with the recent Supreme Court ruling, applicants would be able to appeal the Board decision.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it's necessarily a matter of board staff being rude/unhelpful to folks who are licensed in particular states. Rather, I've just seen that by and large, some state boards are more supportive (and just generally nice) than others.

I've personally never felt an air of superiority coming from board members/licensed individuals, although I've heard folks mention that they felt specific examiners were a bit contentious during oral interviews. The horror stories, though, by and large seem to involve administrative staff.

I don't think your experience is in any way applicable to the SCOTUS ruling. It specifically had to do with anti-trust immunity depending on levels of state supervision. It's about restriction of practice in areas where health and well-being of the public is not threatened.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe that many licensing boards make it more difficult to apply by having high application fees and making it a slow process. Often phone calls are not returned and I have heard that paperwork was lost requiring the person to resubmit everything. .

Sounds like you are from California too haha

I don't think your experience is in any way applicable to the SCOTUS ruling. It specifically had to do with anti-trust immunity depending on levels of state supervision. It's about restriction of practice in areas where health and well-being of the public is not threatened.
To me, not a lawyer, it seems WisNeuro is on the money. The dentists were trying to keep other professions from practicing a certain procedure. Psych State Boards do not do that. They allow everyone to practice but provide different levels of licensure based on education. Insurance companies, health care entities, etc decide on who can do what and where.

The cumbersomeness of getting your license is not the issue of contest here.