Surgery Eval Negative Comment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2000 Man

No Limits
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I get my surgery eval. The attending says "he's punctual, attentive, professional and hard working". Then in the weaknesses section he puts "None. Did not respond to a call and missed a good case". OK, so yes this happened. Once. The damned pager never went off. I had it at my side the whole night. When I told him he laughed and said, "that's what they all say."

So up to this point all of my evals have been stellar. This is the only REAL negative comment. I am looking to apply to either FM, OB or Psych. Is this comment no big deal or will it be a red flag?

Members don't see this ad.

So I get my surgery eval. The attending says "he's punctual, attentive, professional and hard working". Then in the weaknesses section he puts "None. Did not respond to a call and missed a good case". OK, so yes this happened. Once. The damned pager never went off. I had it at my side the whole night. When I told him he laughed and said, "that's what they all say."

So up to this point all of my evals have been stellar. This is the only REAL negative comment. I am looking to apply to either FM, OB or Psych. Is this comment no big deal or will it be a red flag?

not sure if serious

Members don't see this ad :)

When you apply noone sees your comments from your evals during 3rd year, they will see a transcript which has your grade. At my school we get to pick which comments we want in our MSPE letter.

Don't fret.

That comment wont show up into your MSPE letter. Remember the word before that sentence: NONE. Your biggest weakness is that you missed one case because of a missed call, I call that a victory. If anything, I read it as a positive comment because it is his way of implying that you were so good that he is really scrounging for constructive criticism to give you. At my school the rule of thumb is any negative comment has to be repeated three times before it is taken seriously. This doesn't apply to you, because you didn't receive any negative feedback.

Also, if you got honors you need to slap yourself.

Thanks for the responses. I've been ruminating on the comment since I got it. At my school we do not get to pick what goes on the Deans Letter, and I just know they'll stick that on there. And in a sea of pretty benign comments I was just concerned that this one would just jump out like a sore thumb.

Thanks for the responses. I've been ruminating on the comment since I got it. At my school we do not get to pick what goes on the Deans Letter, and I just know they'll stick that on there. And in a sea of pretty benign comments I was just concerned that this one would just jump out like a sore thumb.

Did you get honors?

Thanks for the responses. I've been ruminating on the comment since I got it. At my school we do not get to pick what goes on the Deans Letter, and I just know they'll stick that on there.

I would bet against you on this.

My guess is your pager did go off, but it was towards later in the day and you wanted to go home. If I were a PD, I wouldn't rank you.

My school stuck a comment on mine that was supposed to be below the line; it said something like student is unfamiliar with electronic health record... Did it matter? Doesn't seem like it.

My guess is your pager did go off, but it was towards later in the day and you wanted to go home. If I were a PD, I wouldn't rank you.

I'm outraged.

If I were the PD, I'd send an assassin to slaughter his puppies.

Look, overall you got a good evaluation. The attending who evaluated you wrote one slightly negative comment along with several strongly positive ones.. I don't think that comment will even show up in your Dean's Letter. I wouldn't even stress about it.

You know, its really amazing how many med students get generally good evaluations, but go into panic attacks over even the slightest negative comments on them, even if they happen to be trivial.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had preceptors that will avoid putting anything in the weakness/areas for improvement section of the evaluation? I guess I'd rather have nothing than something horrific but I think I've had 6/7 preceptors just leave the field completely empty.

Out of curiosity, has anyone else had preceptors that will avoid putting anything in the weakness/areas for improvement section of the evaluation? I guess I'd rather have nothing than something horrific but I think I've had 6/7 preceptors just leave the field completely empty.

We have a compiled summary of all comments that is broken down. So, while I can sometimes tell who gave the comments, I have a feeling that note everyone contributes.

Quit agonizing over pointless details. What benefits does the school get for putting an arbitrary negative comment in your Dean's letter? Unless it is a repeating theme, they really aren't out to get you.