Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Surgery on the CK exam

Discussion in 'Step II' started by Sage880, 09.12.07.

1. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    I know people reccommend studying mostly IM for CK but there's got to be surgery questions on there, right? Anyway, I'm pretty weak in surgery right now. Anyone suggest a good review book or a good general textbook for surgery? I'm not looking for a bible or anything. Just something that will help me learn all the key, testable concepts.
  2. TheFlash

TheFlash Playtime Is Over

SDN 7+ Year Member
    For Step 2, use Pestana's review. Basically the kaplan surgery review notes (they were written by Pestana). 80ish extremely high yield pages. But make sure you have a solid base in IM before studying Pestana; he emphasizes the surgical care for diseases and glosses over some specifics of medical care that precedes surgical intervention. If you're studying for the surgery shelf now (I'm assuming you didn't take medicine yet), you WILL need to know a lot of IM for that shelf, be warned.
  3. Sage880

Sage880 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Thanks for your advice. I'm an Irish medical student so we don't have shelf exams. All of our exams are at the end of the year - kind of integrated finals. I really like how you guys have it in the US though with the shelfs.

I will check out that book - it's exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Thanks!
  4. mikedc813

mikedc813

Attending Physician
    SDN 10+ Year Member
    All I did was do USMLE World questions for surgery. You might want to look at BRS surgery too since it has a nice outline format. I used it for my surgery shelf and did well.
  5. AlternateSome1

AlternateSome1 Dismembered

Attending Physician
    Physician SDN 10+ Year Member
    I don't recall much surgery being on my step II CK. Most that was there was related to trauma/emergency type situations. Crush Step II had the high yield stuff. I wouldn't focus on surgery or peds though, IM is where the money is (at least for this exam :laugh:).

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal