Surgery PreTest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this book any good to help prepare you for the NBME M3 Surgery shelf exam?

51OZT8bCIyL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

???

Members don't see this ad.

It is, but realistically, you have to go through Pestana at least once or twice. That will be the most high yield. If you truly understand what's in Pestana, do uworld surgery, and study the surgery/management topics you run into on the rotation, you'll cover enough to do about average or better on the shelf. Also be sure to watch the UT video and review the associated powerpoint (this is true about every shelf).

Read a lot of bad reviews, but in retrospect I wish I would have done it. Pestana was not helpful at all for my test. YMMV.

Members don't see this ad :)
is that the one where everyone said the answers don't match up to the questions? for a dedicated question book that's a pretty terrible mistake

is that the one where everyone said the answers don't match up to the questions? for a dedicated question book that's a pretty terrible mistake

Haven't read the surgery one but I seem to remember there being a lot of those mistakes in their pharm book.

Case files is pretty bad in this regard.

I used it, Pestana, and UWorld and did well.

Personally liked it, since the actual MCQ format seems to be my biggest downfall. Didn't notice too many big, bad mistakes. Some of their imaging protocols on trauma were maybe a bit out of date; but then, the shelf isn't exactly up to the minute, either.

I did pestana twice, pestana audio, uworld and nms case files surgery

OP, do not waste your time on PreTest surgery. It sucks. SUCKS.

Listen to Psai. Pestana (book +/- audio) + UWorld + NMS Casebook = happy times on the surgery shelf.

OP, do not waste your time on PreTest surgery. It sucks. SUCKS.

Listen to Psai. Pestana (book +/- audio) + UWorld + NMS Casebook = happy times on the surgery shelf.

Used this combo (plus several hundred additional medicine/surgery questions), took the test a few weeks ago and did pretty poorly. I don't know if PreTest is necessarily worth doing the whole way through, but at the very least I would check out the pre/post-op management sections. Also instead of NMS I would try this:

Amazon product

which admittedly I only skimmed but it seemed a lot better than NMS. Just one man's opinion.