Surgical and medicine cases.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drivesmecraazee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I've heard many times that urology has a good mix between medicine and surgery. I would like to know which cases (pathologies) you get to manage in the OR and which ones are managed mostly by treatment and medication.
Im interested in uro and ENT as well, I think both have the balance Im looking for but it seems to me that the medical part is a little bit more interesting and complex in urology, and that one takes better diagnosis' skills to be a urologist than an ENT.
Excuse me if my english isn't perfect, it's not my first language.
Thanks for your answers.

Members don't see this ad.

The cancers are surgical cases of course. Kidney stones could be medically managed at first to try and make them pass it before proceeding to the OR. BPH, erectile dysfunction, etc. can be medically managed.

How important are diagnosis skills in urology? More than any other surgical fields?

How important are diagnosis skills in urology? More than any other surgical fields?

not really. most patients come prepackaged for you from their pcps. the nice thing about a specialty field is that you can always say "well, it's definitely not a urologic problem."