Surgical critical care fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IOE

forever DUBwise!!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hellos fellow surgeons and surgeons-to-be,

I am in the midst of interviews for surgical critical care fellowships, My issue is that I can not find any site/resource to give a general idea about how do some programs rank compared to others. Of course a few programs are well-known to be top notch eg shock trauma, Vanderbilt, U Tennessee, etc. How would you guys rank the following programs (in preparing one for an academic career) : Yale, UCSF-Fresno, Cornell, and Stony Brook? (Yes I did multiple searches on this forum, AAST site, SCCPD site, and of course Google but did not find a good answer)

Any word of wisdom will be very much appreciated.

For the inflammatory trolls....please do the world a favor and disappear.

Members don't see this ad.

Hellos fellow surgeons and surgeons-to-be,

I am in the midst of interviews for surgical critical care fellowships, My issue is that I can not find any site/resource to give a general idea about how do some programs rank compared to others. Of course a few programs are well-known to be top notch eg shock trauma, Vanderbilt, U Tennessee, etc. How would you guys rank the following programs (in preparing one for an academic career) : Yale, UCSF-Fresno, Cornell, and Stony Brook? (Yes I did multiple searches on this forum, AAST site, SCCPD site, and of course Google but did not find a good answer)

Any word of wisdom will be very much appreciated.

For the inflammatory trolls....please do the world a favor and disappear.

Not sure there's a resource out there that summarizes what you describe. Your trauma faculty are your best resource… that and going to a national meeting.

Best of Luck to you. This is my last year of pulmonary critical care. Try to obtain a copy of the credentialing application for your desired perm placement facility usually from medical staff services. Print case log from fellowship program director, compare numbers. I had "gaps" in some areas and decided on a 3rd year to get more bronchoscopies and went to Intervention Radiologist for help on others. Know your strengths & weaknesses, utilize resources. An online list would have not helped me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I dunno why Rutgers Newark doesn't get more trauma love. Dr. Livingston is the president of Western trauma, we keep winning resident presentations at all the trauma meetings (including just this past weekend at East). And I hate trauma

If it's trauma experience you are looking for, I would probably try to avoid the New York programs (not sure about Jersey) as there are a bunch of centers and none of them really has enough volume to warrant spending an extra year outside of residency there. If you're just looking for good education in surgical critical care, I'm sure most of them would be fine. I also doubt that Fresno or New Haven has enough to really be worth it.

If it's trauma experience you are looking for, I would probably try to avoid the New York programs (not sure about Jersey) as there are a bunch of centers and none of them really has enough volume to warrant spending an extra year outside of residency there. If you're just looking for good education in surgical critical care, I'm sure most of them would be fine. I also doubt that Fresno or New Haven has enough to really be worth it.
Suny downstate has plenty of volume, as does Newark.

Fresno's actually a pretty violent town; while its no Shock Trauma or Memphis, they appear to have nearly 5000 trauma admissions per year, certainly with a number ending up in the SICU.

But it is Fresno. Every time I go home, I remember how ****ty it is.

Reactions: 1 users
Concur with above. Fresno is very violent. Add in a couple of big north-south freeways (I 5 and CA 99) and some prisons for extra flavor. Not to mention its the only level 1 center between LA and SF/sacramento.

Reactions: 1 user
Fresno's actually a pretty violent town; while its no Shock Trauma or Memphis, they appear to have nearly 5000 trauma admissions per year, certainly with a number ending up in the SICU.

But it is Fresno. Every time I go home, I remember how ****ty it is.

You're from Fresno???? I'm from Los Banos!!!!!

at the risk of derailing things, whats the deal with people who do cc fellowships during a gen surg residency? it sounds like it can happen during what would otherwise be a research year. couldnt find anything searching on here. is it a good idea? other thoughts?

at the risk of derailing things, whats the deal with people who do cc fellowships during a gen surg residency? it sounds like it can happen during what would otherwise be a research year. couldnt find anything searching on here. is it a good idea? other thoughts?

As long as you complete 3 years of gen surg training and have a guaranteed 4th year spot to go back to, you can do CC between 3rd/4th years of residency. Usually at your home institution although some go elsewhere...

I interviewed at a program that had this same set up. If you had no interest in doing a research year, you could instead do there SCC fellowship then return to residency. The residents who did that option seemed to think it was a nice break in the middle of residency. It was one of the South Carolina programs if I recall