Surgical Critical Care Via EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Primum non noce

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Curious as to what anyone has heard as to being boarded in surgical critical care after an emergency medicine residency. There are two programs that I have been able to find (University of Maryland and St. Luke's Bethlehem) that allow EM physicians to sit for the ABS board in SCC. Curious as to what the reputation of these programs are, how well they prepare you for actual practice of managing traumas and surgical ICUs, and what the prospective employment options are for SCC boarded docs who have a EM background.

Thanks in advance,

PNN

Members don't see this ad.

You'd have to look at the website to check, but I recall that the first-year fellows at STC spend three months in the TRU leading trauma teams A-C, a few months in the various trauma and general surgical ICUs, and then several months in other places (like the CTICU). Your second year is more research-oriented. If you want trauma training, there's few better places than the TRU in July. Maybe Parkland, but I don't recall if they take EM.

BTW - STC was one of the first places to take EM for Trauma/CC. Scalea started the EM program at King's County. Scott Weingart trained at STC.

Reactions: 1 user