Surgical Knots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed - two throws in the same direction to cinch down the knot (and prevent air knots), then alternate.

Members don't see this ad.

A knot that's not cinched down, so there's some space between the tissue and the knot itself.

Members don't see this ad :)
asdfaa said:
Two of the same throw IS a granny knot, right? That's so you can cinch it down nice and snug and avoid tying an air-knot. But why would you go back to tying granny's AFTER switching to alternates?? I din't think granny knots cotributed anything to the strength of the knot. Is that just cutting corners or is there a reason for it?

Yes, and when I referred to granny knots after the first 3 throws, that's what I meant--no alternating. Once you have the knot cinched down, it doesn't really matter whether you use surgical knots or granny knots. The granny knots are just quicker and if you end it with a throw alternating from what you've been doing, it's a quick way to get a few knots that will hold no problem.

Here's a nice animated guide to tying knots...these are more fun. . . .