surgical knowloedge

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cage92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey i want to go for general surgery so i want to increase my surgical knowledge as medical student so i start reading textbook like baile and love but really i cant retain from it in every system it include very rare disease..... can anyone give me a book which is comprehensive and increase surgical knowledge?what do you think about combo: nms case book and book + recall and washi manual?

Members don't see this ad.

hey i want to go for general surgery so i want to increase my surgical knowledge as medical student so i start reading textbook like baile and love but really i cant retain from it in every system it include very rare disease..... can anyone give me a book which is comprehensive and increase surgical knowledge?what do you think about combo: nms case book and book + recall and washi manual?

You're asking for the impossible. You're a medical student. Not a resident/chief resident/fellow/attending. There's a reason why surgery is a long residency, right? From what I've learned/heard from interns - the important thing about being in surgery is knowing Medicine, Anatomy and how to use the tools. The procedures are something you learn during residency/training. Don't waste your time learning the step-by-steps for these things because you'll just screw yourself over.

With saying that - I'd say being comfortable with the anatomy/surgical recall/step-up would be fine. NMS casebook is more about management. Which I think is okay but not for what you want. You need to know medicine more than the step-by-steps.

I've never even heard of that book. Had to google it.

Focus on studying what you need to study to succeed in medical school. There is no point or utility in trying to randomly memorize a surgical textbook or try and learn to be a surgery resident when you're not. The most important thing you can do at this point is gain a good foundation of medical knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bailey and Love is commonly used in Commonwealth countries. Like most surgical textbooks, it is too dense and lengthy for medical students. Unlike most medical textbooks, it has the distinctly British penchant for understatement by daring to call itself "A Short Practice of Surgery" when the thing is bigger than any other text. Its got to be 1500+ pages (NB: Amazon review shows it to be 1530 pages)!

Reactions: 1 user
I also want to add that fourth year has a lot more electives/rotations that can prepare you for surgery. I've looked at my elective options and there are month-long rotations at different specialties. There's a rotation that's specifically tailored to hone your skills with suturing/using the tools of surgery. There's a sub-I. In the end - you just need to learn to brush up on your medical knowledge and worry about the procedures later. Knowing the basics is more than enough because it's highly unlikely you'll get to do much during the rotation as a third/fourth year.