Surgical residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What schools are better if I am interested in a surgical residency? I know some are more focused than others on primary care and some have attached residency programs.

Any info is useful.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

All schools produce surgical residents. That will be up to you, your grades, board scores, etc. The older schools probably produce more surgical residents than others (KCOM, PCOM, ATSU-Kirksville, CCOM), but you can get a surgical residency by attending any program.

I think that DMU has an extra required 25 hour surgery lab course or something like that

Members don't see this ad :)
No school produces surgical residents.

Last edited:
You can focus on surgery on your electives your 4th year! so It really doesn't matter what each school "focuses" on!

PCOM has their own residency programs in surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic, urology, plastic and otorhinolaryngology.

Needless to say, PCOM produces lots of surgeons every year.

PCOM has their own residency programs in surgery, neurosurgery, orthopedic, urology, plastic and otorhinolaryngology.

Needless to say, PCOM produces lots of surgeons every year.

Okay, so maybe I should say no one school can guarantee your spot in surgery.

I think that DMU has an extra required 25 hour surgery lab course or something like that

That we do. We have great facilities and early training for surgical skills. You can even become a 'surgery TA' in your second year and teach these skills to your peers. That gives you a lot of practice before clinicals even start!

That being said, for some reason the graduating classes at KCUMB always seem have a lot of students going into surgery. Couldn't tell you why, but they seem to do well in that area.

Ultimately, where you go doesn't matter that much. Just go where you think is the best fit for you and the rest should fall into place.

Okay, so maybe I should say no one school can guarantee your spot in surgery.

You're correct.

However, it always helps to go to a school that has its own surgical residency programs if you are interested in surgery.