Surgical specialty with epilepsy?

jupitersaturn2222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will be short or long, we'll see where it goes.

I have wanted to be a surgeon since I was an extremely little kid. I assume that's normal but I guess I never got over my fascination with surgery. I had always planned on doing that or something like it.

I started high school and got really serious about my grades to assure that I could stay on the career path that I wanted to be in. However, not that far in, I had a seizure. To be precise, I had 2 seizures within an hour apart. One at school, one right after I got to the hospital. They were tonic-clonic seizures and I never had another one after that. It was attributed to the vyvanse I was taking at the time and the hospital neurologist left me and my parents confused. So, after talking to my regular doctor, he said to go see X neurologist at Y place. So I went there and he said he was almost sure it was the vyvanse but he wasn't confident in the regular 30-min EEG that I had done at the hospital, so we scheduled a sleep study. He also wanted an MRI instead of a CT. So, I went in and got those tests done, while starting on a new med which he said, although not being attributed to lowering the seizure threshold (at least as much as vyvanse), it was attributed to a side effect of twitching. So I started that med and sure enough I was twitching, mainly in my legs, which I associated with the new med. So fast forward to my appointment, normal MRI, abnormal EEG. He said I have seizure disorder that has a good chance of "going away" but he wanted me on Keppra for a couple years until we reconsider (probably with another sleep-study :|)

So, my question is, if all goes well for me in the next couple years, and I no longer have an active seizure disorder, do I still have a good shot at becoming a surgeon? Is it something that could be overlooked if many years from now and I have been 10 years seizure free, or should I reconsider my desired career path.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If your seizure is under control by then, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone is allowed to have one seizure and that would have zero clinical significance. Become a surgeon!

Members don't see this ad :)
:eyebrow: Is this like some kind of policy or something?
Many people who have a single seizure will never experience one again and don't require any kind of medical follow up. Doesn't sound like OP is in this category though.

To OP, you are young and shouldn't be worrying about it at this stage. Work hard and get to where you want to be, the rest will take care of itself.

Reactions: 1 user
You should be fine; if all goes well and your seizures are under control by then. :luck:

Last edited: