Surplus PGY-4 position openings / Shortage PGY-3 position openings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chan76x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some years ago, there were still some programs which had one or two preliminary PGY-3 positions; that does not seem to be the case anymore.

However, I have been thinking it might have been good to keep these position around, especially since there seems now to be a SURPLUS of available categorical PGY-4 positions.

It has become increasingly more difficult to obtain PGY-3 positions.

As a candidate hoping to find a PGY-3 position, I wanted to get some input on this from you all.......

Thanks.....

Members don't see this ad.

There's no such thing as a prelim PGY3 position. They are all for categorical positions.

The reason for more PGY4 positions is that anytime a spot opens up, that means a PGY4 OR PGY5 quit/got fired/otherwise left. The rules are such that one must complete the last 2 years of GS in the same program, hence there are never any PGY5 openings. In addition, the only people that can fill an open PGY4 spot is another categorical who completed PGY3, whereas an open PGY3 spot can be filled by a categorical PGY2 or a prelim PGY2.

There's no such thing as a prelim PGY3 position. They are all for categorical positions.

The reason for more PGY4 positions is that anytime a spot opens up, that means a PGY4 OR PGY5 quit/got fired/otherwise left. The rules are such that one must complete the last 2 years of GS in the same program, hence there are never any PGY5 openings. In addition, the only people that can fill an open PGY4 spot is another categorical who completed PGY3, whereas an open PGY3 spot can be filled by a categorical PGY2 or a prelim PGY2.

All this you write is true...

But how do programs hope to fill Categorical PGY 4 positions, essentially they will create a void in another program...hence creating another pgy 4 position somewhere else...

I am also in search of PGY 3 position and am surprised to see how many PGY 4 position are opening up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Presumably, though, some of these PGY4 spots open up as a result of residents wanting to stay in the lab, have kids, etc. So that would be a spot vacated, not because someone left for another spot.

FYI Columbia posted a PGY-3 position.

GL.

update: now filled.

Last edited:
I know of one PGY-3 and one PGY-4 position openings right now.