Survery question: anyone specializing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMode

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For everyone doing interested in or enrolled in psychology PhD/PsyD program, what specialization are you going into: forensic, neuro, sport, health, school, psychopharmacology, experimental psychopathology, community, another specialization, not specializing, or getting a dual degree?

Members don't see this ad.

Child, Adolescent and Family.... adults are too predictable ;)

I'm leaning toward clinical health psych with, hopefully, an MPH (epidemiology/ biostatistics) right now. I'm also considering neuropsych instead. Third option, forensic, which I would still have as an option if I could get into neuropsych. As you can see, I'm still kind of mulling over my options.

Members don't see this ad :)
As you can see, I'm still kind of mulling over my options.

You should be :) and keep your options open ...

I am not sure what category of specialization I would fall under, but my two main focal areas of interest are the following:

Substance Abuse/Addiction
PTSD and Trauma (as it relates to rape victims)

Does anyone know what "category" of specialization either of these two might fall under?

I am also interested in victimizatin as it relates to abusive relationships and domestic violence, as well as child abuse.

Kushkeeee said:
I am not sure what category of specialization I would fall under, but my two main focal areas of interest are the following:

Substance Abuse/Addiction
PTSD and Trauma (as it relates to rape victims)

Does anyone know what "category" of specialization either of these two might fall under?

I am also interested in victimizatin as it relates to abusive relationships and domestic violence, as well as child abuse.

I think those fall under clinical psych, though you can probably still pursue those under counseling psych, too. Basically, if a professor in the program you are applying to is interested in that, then it doesn't matter which one it it. Substance abuse/addiction, that could fall under health psych/behavioral medicine (psych, not m.d.). So many categories!!

I want to go into neuropsych. Probably developmental, though possibly medical or forensic neruopsych. Also i'm interested in sleep psych.

FOcusing strictly on child and adolescent...with my focus population being autism, ADD, ODD, and other neurodevelopmental disorders (Fragile X as well). Would like to explore comorbidity between these disorders and other abnormal behaviors such as bipolar disorder overlapping with autism spectrum, and ODD with fragile X.