Survey: Does your doctoral program put in "comped" credit hours for internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LikeABoss15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to see if your doctoral programs put in fake or comped hours for you while you are on internship. The intention of doing so being that you don't go into loan repayment while on internship (because you dropped below halftime) and so you are eligible to take out loans while on internship.

If your school requires that you actually PAY for those additional hours, that is not what I am looking for.

I am asking because my university only has us register for 3 hours each semester of internship, but does nothing to assist students (e.g., add additional hours to the system that you don't actually pay for) who need to take out more loans and who cannot afford to go into repayment (especially while on internship!). I am looking to make reform in these policies at my university, but ***need to provide my university with the names of schools*** that provide this to psychology doctoral students.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and reply! PLEASE REPLY OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SCHOOL'S NAME!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know you're not looking for schools that require you to pay, but my university only has us register for 1 credit per semester during internship, which we do pay for, but the registrar's office lists us as full-time so our loans don't go into repayment. I'm posting just to point out that it does not necessary have to be the equivalent of a full-time course load for them to do this.

I know you're not looking for schools that require you to pay, but my university only has us register for 1 credit per semester during internship, which we do pay for, but the registrar's office lists us as full-time so our loans don't go into repayment. I'm posting just to point out that it does not necessary have to be the equivalent of a full-time course load for them to do this.
Thank you for replying! What school is it? What you are saying essentially falls into the category of what I am looking for, so it would be great to include your school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that I'd necessarily consider them "fake," considering the hours are reflecting the on-site internship training you're completing.

I believe we were counted as full-time students while on internship, but I honestly don't remember how many semester-hours we were provided. Maybe 3 or 6?

I don't know that I'd necessarily consider them "fake," considering the hours are reflecting the on-site internship training you're completing.

I believe we were counted as full-time students while on internship, but I honestly don't remember how many semester-hours we were provided. Maybe 3 or 6?
I mean "fake" as in you don't pay for them. They are put in the system without a fee directly attached. What school are you from?

We register for 1 credit per semester, which is sometimes covered by tuition waivers and sometimes isn't.

I am looking to see if your doctoral programs put in fake or comped hours for you while you are on internship. The intention of doing so being that you don't go into loan repayment while on internship (because you dropped below halftime) and so you are eligible to take out loans while on internship.

If your school requires that you actually PAY for those additional hours, that is not what I am looking for.

I am asking because my university only has us register for 3 hours each semester of internship, but does nothing to assist students (e.g., add additional hours to the system that you don't actually pay for) who need to take out more loans and who cannot afford to go into repayment (especially while on internship!). I am looking to make reform in these policies at my university, but ***need to provide my university with the names of schools*** that provide this to psychology doctoral students.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and reply! PLEASE REPLY OR PRIVATE MESSAGE ME WITH YOUR SCHOOL'S NAME!
We had to register for one (I had to register for three b/c I'm international; beside the point though).

Adding "fake" hours that are not charged for to enrollments to allow for more loans or deferment of loans does not sound to me like something a university would do. Sounds to me like it could be construed as fraud.

We had to register for one (I had to register for three b/c I'm international; beside the point though).

Adding "fake" hours that are not charged for to enrollments to allow for more loans or deferment of loans does not sound to me like something a university would do. Sounds to me like it could be construed as fraud.
No, it's not fraud because it's the university's decision as to whether they are going to collect money from you. It is really no different than a tuition waiver...

I also know it's not fraud because I have a list of 7 schools who do this, but I need more. Specifically, it is very helpful to hear from those of you in this situation from a state university.

BTW, super interesting that most of you only had to register for 1 hour... my school requires 3 per semester! On an internship stipend at that..

1 credit per semester, we pay, I don't recall the exact amount.

And forgot to add that we are listed as "full time" as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all the responses so far, but what I really need IS THE NAME OF YOUR SCHOOL! That's the information my school needs so that they have evidence of other schools who do this.

Thank you for replying! What school is it? What you are saying essentially falls into the category of what I am looking for, so it would be great to include your school.

I messaged the school name :)

Reactions: 1 user

The rationale seems to be that they are willing to designate you as full-time because you are maintaining 40+ hours per week while on internship. So it puts students in an unfair position to be working full-time hours as part of a school requirement and not being counted as full-time students (and therefore your loans go into repayment).

It's a hell of a time having to remind the registrar's office to implement this each semester, by the way ;)

The rationale seems to be that they are willing to designate you as full-time because you are maintaining 40+ hours per week while on internship. So it puts students in an unfair position to be working full-time hours as part of a school requirement and not being counted as full-time students (and therefore your loans go into repayment).

It's a hell of a time having to remind the registrar's office to implement this each semester, by the way ;)

Oh, interesting. It was very different for me (international). Part of the challenge might be helping them to understand out what an "internship" is for us (they're probably more familiar with engineering or business "internships," which are totally different from ours); this was a consistent problem for students in my program.

Good luck!

I was supposed to enroll in 1 credit and it counted as full time. Cost was about $800 per semester. Large Midwest state school.

Yes-- just in the past year, due to popular demand, we created a dummy class for internship. s

We have to enroll in 1 internship credit but we have to pay for it. Also, research credits if you are not done with your dissertation. Ended up being 1,300 for fall semester

So just to verify that I understand this properly, in one's 5th year in a doctoral program [or 6th or whatever their last year is], they only have to pay for a couple credits instead of the usual full courseload amount of credits?

So just to verify that I understand this properly, in one's 5th year in a doctoral program [or 6th or whatever their last year is], they only have to pay for a couple credits instead of the usual full courseload amount of credits?

That was my personal experience. We were given enough internship hours to count as part-time students, and were provided enough of a tuition remission to cover said part-time costs (other than the fees).