Surving Summer Orgo!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, i hate to say this, but that's actually the easier part of ochem. Wait till you get to carbonyls, Wittigs, aldols/Claisens and other fun stuff
Hm, looking at the syllabus, I don't think we go through that. Is that a part of OChem 1-2?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm finishing up Orgo 2 right now and we were unable to cover all the material which is covered in a normal semester due to shorter summer. I am not particularly concerned with it as I believe there will be mostly Orgo 1 on new MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Study only 2 full days out of the week. 4 exams + a final. No curve. So far A+ for Ochem 1 and have a 97 percent for Ochem 2. Combination of memorization and understanding.

It should be... unless your prof completely ignored what's actually high-yield. Same with amines, aromatics etc
Amines and aromatics is on the syllabus. It might be third quarter stuff. We'll see. :) I ended up doing average on the midterm, but if I knew what I was doing I'm sure it would have been higher haha.

It's ok, I didn't get NMR or any of that stuff, still did ok on MCAT.

In terms for classes, buy a Ochem text book and the answer key to one. Do hundreds of practice and check your answers.

Reactions: 1 user
It's ok, I didn't get NMR or any of that stuff, still did ok on MCAT.

In terms for classes, buy a Ochem text book and the answer key to one. Do hundreds of practice and check your answers.
I try to do as many as possible but the lab portion takes out so much time. I hate lab lol!

Seems to be the general consensus around here ;)
I didn't even bother to take the lab portion of Ochem II this summer because it was 3 times a week...4 week long course. Hell nah. And yeah at my school the lab and lecture are separate courses.

I didn't even bother to take the lab portion of Ochem II this summer because it was 3 times a week...4 week long course. Hell nah. And yeah at my school the lab and lecture are separate courses.
I know! I asked (begged ha) them to let me take them separately since the grades are separate, but no luck. It sucks for people who drop 2nd quarter class because they have to drop the lab that they were 90% done with because the timing is so off.

Yea mine was separate courses too, it was only 1 credit. The first day of lab my prof told us Ochem lab would be the most effort we'd have to put in a 1 credit class.
Lab went from 2-5 on Fridays, which made it even worse.

Last edited:
Yea mine was separate courses too, it was only 1 credit. The first day of lab my prof told us Ochem lab would be the most effort we'd have to put in a 1 credit class.
Lab went from 2-5 on Fridays, which made it even worse.
Outs is twice a week from 2-6 so it's not that bad considering it's summer and fast-paced but we definitely suck at Mass Spec/NMR because we had no time to learn it. :(

I'm finishing up Orgo 2 right now and we were unable to cover all the material which is covered in a normal semester due to shorter summer. I am not particularly concerned with it as I believe there will be mostly Orgo 1 on new MCAT.

Can anyone confirm the "only Orgo 1 on MCAT" claim for sure? It would be a huge relief!

I try to do as many as possible but the lab portion takes out so much time. I hate lab lol!

Labs were my favorite part! :( Labs are always my favorites in everything.

Reactions: 2 users
Labs were my favorite part! :( Labs are always my favorites in everything.
Haha! Our lab goes so out of sequence with the class, it's not very helpful and so time consuming. :(

Given that the link you posted has been around for a few years, I doubt that that's the topic list for the new MCAT. Are you planning on taking it this year or something? From what I've seen regarding the new MCAT, very little organic chemistry will be on it. I think it's 5% of the BS section and 15% of the PS section on the new one. @feli_owl @Kochanie
I'm taking the new one, but I was assuming @feli_owl was taking the old one.

Haha! Our lab goes so out of sequence with the class, it's not very helpful and so time consuming. :(

Learning the material that I needed for lab in lecture only after we turned in our write-ups was the story of my Orgo lab experience.... so frustrating :mad: