Sutures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinustarsi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why don't we use absorbable staples in the foot and ankle for the skin? I haven't seen anyone use it in the forefoot or hind-foot. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't we use absorbable staples in the foot and ankle for the skin? I haven't seen anyone use it in the forefoot or hind-foot. What do you guys think?

Cost/benefit. Why use something that cost x10 more than simple sutures? Why not the foot? No use really, sutures work fine in relatively low tension with a better cosmetic outcome. Why not ankle? Not as easy to remove if you have a reaction, infection, cost, cosmesis..not to mention the most obvious which is that ordinary staples work just fine. I just don't see the advantages.

From their own website... "Priced at $45, the INSORB|25 subcuticular skin stapler is significantly more costly than either a pack of suture or a traditional metal skin stapler, both of which are commodity items and can be purchased for less than $10. Even factoring in the cost of a staple remover (less than $5), the INSORB|25 represents a fairly expensive skin closure option."

Other than for some rare specialties (perhaps OB/GYN), no surgical center, hospital or private practice would stock something that expensive.

Last edited: