Swedish Hospitalist fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheruka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with this program? Now that I am close to getting my FM residency done wondering about this. I have no desire to work the hours I work in residency and will only consider if this is gonna' be lighter. Yep, I am talking about all the night call.

Members don't see this ad.

Important to consider the fact that work hour restrictions do not apply to fellows, just residents - make sure you get a sense of the typical hours per week and the high and low end. Presumably you already read this on their website: "Occasional, supervised night work is required to offer exposure to the nocturnist experience and skill set. "

Members don't see this ad :)
Duty hour restrictions do apply to fellowships if they are ACGME accredited (ex: sports medicine). Work hour restrictions do not apply to non-ACGME fellowships (i.e. hospitalist fellowships).

Duty hour restrictions do apply to fellowships if they are ACGME accredited (ex: sports medicine). Work hour restrictions do not apply to non-ACGME fellowships (i.e. hospitalist fellowships).
thanks for the clarification. just looked it up and indeed, that's all over the internet and appears to be bona fide. it's interesting that 100% of the fellows i've talked to about this have all said that duty hours don't apply - these are primarily people in acgme accredited OB fellowships. it's clear from the acgme website that you're totally right, so i retract my earlier statement, but now i'm wondering why all of those fellows really truly seem to believe that they don't have duty hour restrictions. how has that idea still held on when we're all clear about residency hours?

Their web site also says "one week paid vacation"- looks like a great program (rolling eyes).

Reactions: 1 user
thanks for the clarification. just looked it up and indeed, that's all over the internet and appears to be bona fide. it's interesting that 100% of the fellows i've talked to about this have all said that duty hours don't apply - these are primarily people in acgme accredited OB fellowships. it's clear from the acgme website that you're totally right, so i retract my earlier statement, but now i'm wondering why all of those fellows really truly seem to believe that they don't have duty hour restrictions. how has that idea still held on when we're all clear about residency hours?

I don't think OB fellowship programs are technically ACGME accredited. They exist, but there's no CAQ board exam to take afterwards.

Is this like a cheap labor thing for the hospital? Basically they're getting a fully trained hospitalist who will work longer hours for less money than other hospitalists. Assuming one is willing to do it, would it even open up more opportunities?