Sweet Cerner Tricks.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got any sweet CERNER tricks?

Blew my mind when I found that I could copy/paste by highlighting text and saying "Copy That!" into the mic.

Then I dropped the mic.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
anyone know the backend code for radiology results for the last x time so i can make a macro. i have to manually copy and paste results from pacs

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Want to give another bolus (or repeat any med, labs, etc already ordered)? Right click your prior order and it gives you the option to repeat/copy it. It will appear as a new order and you just have to hit sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Want to write a script for a med you gave while they were in the ER? Right click the med, then click "print as prescription"

In the any of the results flow sheets , at the top is an ellipses button. Click this and
Type in whatever Med/lab you want to trend and it will give you every result in the history of ever (or since your go-live)

Probably more useful for me as a pharmacist to see Vanco/warfarin, but really great for seeing trends.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Best Cerner trick I found - don't work anywhere that uses Cerner.

Reactions: 15 users
racer i believe that institution dependent. if u go to the macro list and pull it up you should ge the code. id be forever grateful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same, and does this stuff work when using dragon with Cerner?
Either autotext (you set up) or the stamper (IT sets up).
For 30 lives... at the title screen, press: UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A-(SELECT for two-player)-START!
Tried this today. Shut down my FirstNet. Le sigh...

-d

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Bump for a fix to import radiology results easily into the document. Anyone?
There's the link for "include studies" or something like that within the area for radiology results. It pops up the result box and you single click on the study in question then it pulls it in.

I don't use it though because, at least in my shop, when it's overread in the AM it will pull in the final report, not the prelim (resident read)... I want my chart to be more defensible, so I cut/paste the read I use for my MDM.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Cerner - the result of physicians continuing to box themselves into a sense of illusory superiority. If we are all so great, why are we using stupid **** like Cerner, when almost every other industry has found ways to embrace the integration of IT in a more contemporary fashion (and not several decades behind)?

Never understood all the griping and griping and griping about Cerner. Of the 3 EMRs at my institution (CPRS, some homegrown monstrosity, and Cerner), Cerner is far and away the best of the three. I've used Epic and it isn't all that much better.

Do I think there's ways to make an EMR a whole lot better? Perhaps...but of course we have to live in the real world.

I'll just leave this here...

fig14.jpg

And note that there aren't any of them that score "top box."

FWIW, I despise the whole PG top box nonsense.

And note that there aren't any of them that score "top box."

FWIW, I despise the whole PG top box nonsense.

I agree; and I'll offer this as well.

The differences between sites that use Cerner can be pretty radical. Its not terrible (and when coupled with Dragon, certainly not terrible) on the whole at my present job site, but at others - its notably worse. I guess the "site build" is pretty variable, and dependent on your computing horsepower (why anything is ever hosted remotely, I'll never know). I don't hate Cerner at present; but it does make processes that should be either automatic or "one-step" into 3-4 different processes.

That, and looking at it is like reading a Chinese newspaper. Everything is small, symbolic, difficult to discern, and jammed-in as close as can possibly be.

EDIT: Every time I see or hear "EPIC" mentioned as an EMR on here, the (Faith No More) song plays on that eternal WinAMP player in my cerebral OS. Anyone else?

When you look at just how many outrank Cerner, its clear to see that it takes the short bus.

Last edited:
There's the link for "include studies" or something like that within the area for radiology results. It pops up the result box and you single click on the study in question then it pulls it in.

I don't use it though because, at least in my shop, when it's overread in the AM it will pull in the final report, not the prelim (resident read)... I want my chart to be more defensible, so I cut/paste the read I use for my MDM.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

I can link to the studies, open the studies, but then I have to highlight the text, tell the mic to "copy that, yo", then go back to the chart and right-click/"paste" to get it in there. This is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my prior post - this process should be automatic, or at least "one-click". I am fervently looking for a work-around for this.

I'll also say this for the charting screen... black text on grey background? Who's bright idea was that? Its like looking at a teenager's GeoCities website from teh (sic) 90s.

Last edited:
I can link to the studies, open the studies, but then I have to highlight the text, tell the mic to "copy that, yo", then go back to the chart and right-click/"paste" to get it in there. This is a perfect example of what I was referring to in my prior post - this process should be automatic, or at least "one-click". I am fervently looking for a work-around for this.

I'll also say this for the charting screen... black text on grey background? Who's bright idea was that? Its like looking at a teenager's GeoCities website from teh (sic) 90s.
For us, it's one click (based on build, as others above have mentioned)... I just don't use it as have been burned by the prelim/final problem before.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

I'll just leave this here...

fig14.jpg

I assume this is overall EHR vs ED specific? I don't see Picis/PulseCheck.

I still maintain Cerner is only as good as your site build. @Daiphon has a pretty good one. That's why I've volunteered to be a super user when we start working on our build here.

I assume this is overall EHR vs ED specific? I don't see Picis/PulseCheck.

I still maintain Cerner is only as good as your site build. @Daiphon has a pretty good one. That's why I've volunteered to be a super user when we start working on our build here.

Good question. I'm not sure this is overall EHR vs. ED specific. I don't think it would ultimately matter to me, as the note-writing process is by and large the same.

Good question. I'm not sure this is overall EHR vs. ED specific. I don't think it would ultimately matter to me, as the note-writing process is by and large the same.

McKesson is bad at baseline. But I know my physician group flat out refused to use their ED tracking board product, and that's why we have PulseCheck.

McKesson is bad at baseline. But I know my physician group flat out refused to use their ED tracking board product, and that's why we have PulseCheck.

We had McKesson at the residency mothership. It was bad. BAD. The other two sites had MedHOST and PulseCheck.

PulseCheck is *the* best, hands down. Designed by an EM guy (actually a grad of my residency program) for EM.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

PulseCheck is *the* best, hands down. Designed by an EM guy (actually a grad of my residency program) for EM.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

It won't interface with our ancient inpatient McKesson system, so we can't implement barcode scanning (for better or worse, that's up for discussion...) via PulseCheck. It's still not perfect but it flows pretty nicely.

It won't interface with our ancient inpatient McKesson system, so we can't implement barcode scanning (for better or worse, that's up for discussion...) via PulseCheck. It's still not perfect but it flows pretty nicely.

No discussion needed. BCMA sux.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Bump for a fix to import radiology results easily into the document. Anyone?

So I double checked and our shortcut is just =edradslast2days. I think this is something set up by our IT. I have no idea how to make it work elsewhere. As others have mentioned, it is still hampered by importing only what reads are available (eg - residents overnight) and does not automatically update when the final comes in. Sorry it isn't more helpful.

No discussion needed. BCMA sux.

Semper Brunneis Pallium

Yes, but it's not 100% useless. While I'm secretly thankfully we don't have it in our ED it gets hard to continue justifying not utilizing it when I find dumb errors.

A few weeks ago I figured out a huge percentage of our RNs were pulling milk of mag (mag hydroxide) from the Pyxis instead of maalox ("mag-al plus") for gi cocktails due to not reading the entire order. Sorry patients!

1. Please tell me how I can get Cerner/Dragon to copy with command "copy that, yo." That command is much more in line with our Philly dialects.

2. You can change the font and color for your charting screen. Some docs I work with use Garamond (so so so painful to read), others have blue color font, another one has a pink background. I'll see if I can remember how when I'm at work tonight. It's one of those things I can't remember unless I'm clicking on it. The font seems to stay when others go to read old notes, but I don't think the text color or background color do.

Hm.
There is some poetic justice somewhere if I chart in comic sans. I just know it.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks all. got the rads import working

1. Please tell me how I can get Cerner/Dragon to copy with command "copy that, yo." That command is much more in line with our Philly dialects.

2. You can change the font and color for your charting screen. Some docs I work with use Garamond (so so so painful to read), others have blue color font, another one has a pink background. I'll see if I can remember how when I'm at work tonight. It's one of those things I can't remember unless I'm clicking on it. The font seems to stay when others go to read old notes, but I don't think the text color or background color do.

1. My wife, who is from the Philly area - thanks you for this reply. :)

2. Please let me know how to change this.

In the free text box that pops open when you click "other" in the imaging section of the MDM. I suppose I could just put it in anywhere. I assumed that the "=" was similar to "." phrases in Epic? :shrug:

Tried this tonight. No dice. Dammit. Stuck telling Cerner to "copy that, yo" for the time being.

1. My wife, who is from the Philly area - thanks you for this reply. :)

2. Please let me know how to change this.

1. Jawn :cool:

2. Here's what works in our system to change the background chart color (for your view) and font (for your view and everyone else's)
-Open patient chart in the Documentation section
-Start your note (or open unsigned note you're already working on)
-Click on "View" in the menu bar
-Customize...
-Under "Color" tab, choose "Text background color" and pick what you'd like for the background color of your note, click "apply" in bottom right of window
-Under "Font" tab, scroll to "NormalFont" and then pick what font you'd like from the "Font:" dropdown to the right. You can also change the size or B/I/U, then just click "apply" or "OK" in the bottom right.

I don't know what else the other tabs under the Customize window do since most of them aren't worth me caring.
p.s. Comic Sans is a font option (at least in our system)

Unfortunately, I'm now at a place that uses Cerner. For building autotext/macros, is there something that can be used to autopopulate the patient's name or proper pronoun? For example, with epic one could use @HE@, @his@, and @CAPHE@, etc. Is there anything similar with cerner?

Doubt it. While I think it's a Dragon issue more than a Cerner issue, I am constantly having to fix pronouns in my dictated d/c instructions. Drives me nuts, but the grammar nazi in me must fix it.

Is it possible to insert a timestamp in Cerner? Alternatively, can I do it with Dragon? I would like to free text my reevals instead of clicking all the buttons in the Cerner reeval template. Being able to timestamp my uodates, would allow me to free text much more. It would also be nice if I could imoort vitals with a dot phrase too.

I always use the notes area of the reeval and it gives you the option to put a time in. I "timestamp" reevals and then go back and dictate the details - don't bother with the clicks, usually the last click box will get you a text box to dictate in.

replace cerner with Epic - now THAT would be a sweet cerner trick!

I always use the notes area of the reeval and it gives you the option to put a time in. I "timestamp" reevals and then go back and dictate the details - don't bother with the clicks, usually the last click box will get you a text box to dictate in.
Let me know if you know of a better way... this is how I've been doing it. I click reexamination to open the selections seen in the pic below. Then I click "time" and either utilize the current time which is prefilled or adjust the time to represent an earlier evaluation if it's after the fact. Then I open the "vitals" and select the most recent vitals to display. Then I click "notes" and type whatever comments I want to make about the reeval.

By the time I'm done this is a minimum of 7-8 clicks, often more. It doesn't take long, but after doing this over and over throughout a shift, the wasted time adds up.

upload_2018-8-8_13-35-27.png

In contrast, when I work at my other site which uses Epic, I don't make any clicks. I type ".now" for a time stamp. Then I type ".vs" to pull in vitals if needed, but let's face it. I don't usually need to manually import vitals because my templates automatically update with all the new VS if I simply refresh my note. Then I type my comments. This whole process doesn't require any clicks.

I'm looking for a way to do this in Cerner, but as far as I know it is not possible at my hospital.