Swine opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emiloo4

UF CVM 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to open this thread y'all but I'm having trouble finding research opportunities specifically in swine. I'm required to do a project this summer to fulfill the research requirement for my food animal certificate. I've emailed a few people (Dr. Shipley from Illinois being one), but I was wondering if any current vet students know of anyone in your food animal departments who have projects going on. I'm willing to travel to gain the experience, but finding the opportunities in swine has been surprisingly difficult. Even the AASV wasn't much help. I'd appreciate any advice, help, or insider knowledge you have to offer. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Any specific requirements for what sort of project it has to be? I know we have quite a few people who work with swine here at NCSU, although I'm not sure what their funding is currently like.

Sorry to open this thread y'all but I'm having trouble finding research opportunities specifically in swine. I'm required to do a project this summer to fulfill the research requirement for my food animal certificate. I've emailed a few people (Dr. Shipley from Illinois being one), but I was wondering if any current vet students know of anyone in your food animal departments who have projects going on. I'm willing to travel to gain the experience, but finding the opportunities in swine has been surprisingly difficult. Even the AASV wasn't much help. I'd appreciate any advice, help, or insider knowledge you have to offer. :)

Does it have to be with a vet specifically? I'm not sure what all is involved with a food animal certificate.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's just an extra certificate we can get on top of our DVM to "set us apart". It's pretty broad about who you can perform the research under but usually a DVM or PhD. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the vet school. I contacted my animal science program here. Do you have a name of someone I could contact, Trilt? I'm not necessarily looking to be funded, just to get the experience. And the only specific requirement is that it is relevant to food animal.

It's just an extra certificate we can get on top of our DVM to "set us apart". It's pretty broad about who you can perform the research under but usually a DVM or PhD. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the vet school. I contacted my animal science program here. Do you have a name of someone I could contact, Trilt? I'm not necessarily looking to be funded, just to get the experience. And the only specific requirement is that it is relevant to food animal.

I could give you a couple, though I don't have personal experience with any of them. I know someone who did work with Ronald Baynes doing drug withdrawal research with swine, John Gadsby does endocrinology/repro stuff, and my roomie does research with the Moeser lab on GI dysfunction. Perhaps check those out?

Emiloo, look into MN ASAP! I can't tell you names(I don't know), but we are known for our swine research facility. :D

Oh, and I don't know if he has any room for the summer or not, but contact Dr. Lee Johnston at West Central Research and Outreach Center in Morris, MN(where I work). He's head of the Swine research.

http://wcroc.cfans.umn.edu/Swine/index.htm

It IS a small town, though. Around 5k people. Not a whole lot to do here. But plenty of housing options. (You may be able to stay at the research farm house with the Dairy interns)

And not sure how many animals you have now? I have an extra room. ;) (There is also a pet friendly hotel, if it came to that. But it's $900 a month. :( )

Last edited:
Contact Dr. Tom Parsons at Penn. He's extremely nice, does swine welfare research, and has summer student research.

You guys are all awesome! I will definitely start looking into contacting these people. Seriously, y'all rock thanks!!!

UGA is probably gonna have swine stuff again because Dr Dove LOVES his piggies. He's not a vet though. And it probably wouldn't be paid, though I'm not sure. I can ask him if he's gonna have a project.

I'm not looking for paid necessarily, just a project I can jump on. Thanks! :)

Contact Dr. Tom Parsons at Penn. He's extremely nice, does swine welfare research, and has summer student research.

I was just about to suggest this. I was going to interview with him to work with him for a year when I wasn't accepted to vet school yet.

Thanks Y'aaaaaall!!!! Snagged one! :love: