Switching Doctoral Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sug98765

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a DrPH program and while I like it, it doesn't allow me some of the opportunities as more prestigious programs. I also have to find my own sources of funding. I am considering switching to a PhD program I found that aligns more closely with my research goals and guarantees funding.

Background:

DrPH in public health
I want to concentrate on nutrition

Found a program that does more nutrition epidemiology and I think I would get more out of that program than my current one.

I am only in my 1st year so switching won't be that bad with starting over.

I am concerned about who to write my letters of recommendation. I do not want to ask the last people to write yet another letter and I do not feel it would be appropriate to ask current faculty/advisor to write one.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated. I can always give more info if needed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tread carefully, however you decide to go about it. And having a "gap" year if you don't list what you're doing now is a potential issue. That said, you might also be considered a "flight risk" by some AdComs, depending how they view switching programs. There's also no guarantee of funding. So be careful there, too.

I would have an honest talk with your current mentors. They can give you good advice on your qualms and address the situation in an open and professional manner.

Thanks for the advice. Funding for the program I want to "switch" into is guaranteed.

I just don't know who I can talk to about my situation without raising red flags.

I am definitely going to stay in my current program. But, if I apply and get into the other one then I will leave.

I have a phone chat set up with someone from the program I want to "switch" into. I am not sure if I should be candid with my reasons for coming to the new program. She knows I am currently in a DrPH program. I even have a meeting/phone chat with the new schools program director (hopefully) soon.

Any advice on how to/what to say regarding my situation and how to sell myself per se? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Funding for the program I want to "switch" into is guaranteed.

I just don't know who I can talk to about my situation without raising red flags.

I am definitely going to stay in my current program. But, if I apply and get into the other one then I will leave.

I have a phone chat set up with someone from the program I want to "switch" into. I am not sure if I should be candid with my reasons for coming to the new program. She knows I am currently in a DrPH program. I even have a meeting/phone chat with the new schools program director (hopefully) soon.

Any advice on how to/what to say regarding my situation and how to sell myself per se? THANKS!

Just be honest. You never want to burn bridges in academia and the epi world. Especially since the epi world is a fairly small and insular one.

Thanks. I also just found out that the Professor I wanted to work with (main reason I came to current school) is leaving for a research position elsewhere. That coupled with lack of funding for all students seems to be a strong case for going to another school. I have a meeting with the Director of the Program next Thursday.

Any specific questions I should ask?

Thanks. I also just found out that the Professor I wanted to work with (main reason I came to current school) is leaving for a research position elsewhere. That coupled with lack of funding for all students seems to be a strong case for going to another school. I have a meeting with the Director of the Program next Thursday.

Any specific questions I should ask?

Just voice your concerns. Honestly. You'll be fine. Don't worry too much about it.

Thanks. I am a worrywart by nature. It is the Director of the Program so I want to stick out in her mind.