Switching from MD Only to MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Numba1Plumma

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how easy it is to apply for/be accepted to an MSTP program during the M1 year. For instance, if I am an M1 at a school and decide on wanting a PhD, can I simply apply for the program during my M1 year and be accepted by my M2 year? I am sure this is all school-dependent but what stories/experiences could you please share with me. Thanks~

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any actual advice for you beyond the fact that you should post in the Allo- forum instead of pre-allo. They'll have much more relevant views on this since that forum is mainly for medical students, some of whom have undoubtedly made the switch.

I was wondering if anyone could shed light on how easy it is to apply for/be accepted to an MSTP program during the M1 year. For instance, if I am an M1 at a school and decide on wanting a PhD, can I simply apply for the program during my M1 year and be accepted by my M2 year? I am sure this is all school-dependent but what stories/experiences could you please share with me. Thanks~
You apply during M2 to begin the program after that year. If it is an MSTP and you are accepted, you would then get funding for your last two years of medical school (+ graduate school).

You are not guaranteed acceptance into the MSTP if you do it this way; however, many do it and are successful.

Members don't see this ad :)
You apply during M2 to begin the program after that year. If it is an MSTP and you are accepted, you would then get funding for your last two years of medical school (+ graduate school).

You are not guaranteed acceptance into the MSTP if you do it this way; however, many do it and are successful.

I agree with this. Try PM'ing ksmi117, she's a mod who was in the process of entering her schools MSTP and she's a second year. I think she was successful but I can't remember.

It is important to note that even if you are accepted to a Ph.D program at your school, you are not necessarily guaranteed funding for the sencond-half of med school; it varies from school-to-school

U of C has a specific program (called the Growth and Development Training Program) that addresses this exact scenario. I haven't heard of another school having a similar program.

I wouldn't count on being able to apply into the MSTP program. There are a ton of variables outside of your control that could shut you down before you even have the chance to "apply," namely, the availability of funding.

It varies a lot school to school. MSTP programs are a little different than non MSTP in terms of funding. The non programs can vary a bit. Some schools have set second portal pathways for MD students who become interested, they usually include you having to do research rotations in the summers. Again this varies a lot school to school and the competitiveness of getting a spot varies on how good the applicant pool is year to year. For the most part its not an easy thing to do unless you have a profile that would have made you competitive for entering the program normally.

One person I know of was interested in M1, did a summer research rotation on his own but did not get in, then continued to do some research in the lab over M2 and "applied" again, and got a spot 2/3 through M2, but he did officially go through the interview process like the prospective M1 students. He knew in time to not have to schedule M3 rotations. Another student I know of made her interest known right before M2 and was let into the program at the end of M2 to start her research rotation then but she would have been a strong candidate had she applied the program from the get go. I know of a few other students who interviewed and didn't get into the MSTP but got into the MD, they tried to apply in after doing some summer research but did not get into the program and eventually just went on to M3.

Last edited: