Switching from Med to Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akki6

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys! I am a junior and I was considering Optometry as a profession. I am an Economics major with Pre-Medicine concentration. During my freshman, I really wanted to do Optometry, but after hearing horror stories about students graduating with a OD degree and not finding jobs made me switch to Medicine. However, I am still considering Optometry and wanted to know more about the profession from students that just graduated recently. How hard is it to find steady jobs with a good salary after graduating with a OD degree? I know this question has been asked a million times on SDN. Also, I wanted to know about my chances even though I still have few Pre-Reqs to take. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much!

Gen Chem 1 and 2: (B, B)
Biology 1 and 2: (B+, currently taking 2)
Organic Chemistry 1 and 2: (B-, C+)
Calculus: (AP credit out of high school)
Statistics: (B+)
Economics: (A-)
Psychology, Sociology: (A, A)
Physics: (Still have to take)

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about SCO (Southern college of Optometry) because it is instate for me. Is that a good school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about SCO (Southern college of Optometry) because it is instate for me. Is that a good school?

It's a great school, but be aware that just because you live in-state doesn't mean you will get a tuition discount at SCO.

I also forgot to mention my overall GPA. It is 3.45. Which schools are easier to get into?

Can someone tell me where I would stand for some of the schools? I also have organic lab to take. My gpa is 3.45.

You can look up the average accepted GPA information for every single Optometry school. Do a little research.