Switching from Pharmacy to PA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharm_all_day

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm currently set to graduate pharmacy school in less then a month. My current GPA is roughly 3.7. Just completed my year's worth of clinical rotations. However, I have yet to volunteer shadowing a PA. Would I have a decent shot of getting into a PA program? Do I need to complete any special prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.

Quite the transition here. I can't see why you wouldn't be accepted..

Hello,

I'm currently set to graduate pharmacy school in less then a month. My current GPA is roughly 3.7. Just completed my year's worth of clinical rotations. However, I have yet to volunteer shadowing a PA. Would I have a decent shot of getting into a PA program? Do I need to complete any special prerequisites?

Shadow a PA and you will be fine. Why are you not practicing as a Pharmacist first?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a really big jump to do. Why don't you practice as a pharmacist first?

———————————
UCLA FNP Class of 2016

I hope you realize that PA's make less than pharmacists and are you ready to be saddled with that much more debt?

I hope you realize that PA's make less than pharmacists and are you ready to be saddled with that much more debt?

It depends on the setting, but totally agree that the debt load should be a serious consideration.

I hope you realize that PA's make less than pharmacists
SOME pharmacists make more than many primary care PAs, however SOME specialty PAs make more than many pharmacists. it is not uncommon for senior CT surgical PAs to make around 200k, derm and em pas around 150-175k, etc which is more than entry level pay for PharmDs.

SOME pharmacists make more than many primary care PAs, however SOME specialty PAs make more than many pharmacists. it is not uncommon for senior CT surgical PAs to make around 200k, derm and em pas around 150-175k, etc which is more than entry level pay for PharmDs.
But an average Pharmacists make more. I am sure there are also PA who make more than physicians, but it is not the norm...

the person I was responding to implied all pharmacists make more than all pas. this is clearly not the case. if you took primary care PAs out of the mix( the lowest 33% of pa salaries) the avg salaries are likely comprable.

Reactions: 1 user