Switching out of surgery after intern year, can I work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elperro

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am switching out of a surgical subspecialty into a diagnostic specialty. What are my moonlighting options while in my second residency? Are post-interns qualified to work in an ER or urgent care or something like that after passing step 3? Or, was my year a complete waste of time. I'm trying to make myself feel better.

Members don't see this ad.

So, I am switching out of a surgical subspecialty into a diagnostic specialty. What are my moonlighting options while in my second residency? Are post-interns qualified to work in an ER or urgent care or something like that after passing step 3? Or, was my year a complete waste of time. I'm trying to make myself feel better.

Moonlighting requires an unrestricted license, which requires passing Step 3 and variable state requirements for GME (see http://www.fsmb.org for your state) and generally a DEA #.

Some places will require you to be BE/BC because some payors are now requiring it. I'm sure someone has anecdotes about getting some moonlighting gig with only 1 year of GME but I can imagine if places had a choice they'd prefer a more senior resident.

Finally, your new residency program may not allow it.

To pratice medicine is virtually every state you have to finish an internship and pass step3.

Doing ER moonlighting after internship can be risky from a liability standpoint, especially if you are not doing pt care regularly. There are other options such as doing disability physicals and covering long-term care facilities where you are there basically to run codes. Not as interesting, but lower risk of ending up in the NPDB.

You are not really qualified to work in an Emergency Department after just an intern year and very few hospitals or EM groups, if any, will take the risk of hiring you.

You are not really qualified to work in an Emergency Department after just an intern year

See, the old snoopy brown would have said something pointed here, but I am the new countdookie and I love everyone!!! Love!! It makes the world work!