Switching start dates at a matched advanced program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDin2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current intern and a reapplicant this year and am applying to advanced programs as a back up. At one of the places I interviewed (advanced spot beginning 2016) I was told that if I matched at their program for this 2016 spot and a spot opened up with them this year, I would be allowed to start this year itself. How is this possible? Isn't this a match violation?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current intern and a reapplicant this year and am applying to advanced programs as a back up. At one of the places I interviewed (advanced spot beginning 2016) I was told that if I matched at their program for this 2016 spot and a spot opened up with them this year, I would be allowed to start this year itself. How is this possible? Isn't this a match violation?

I don't think so...they would essentially be converting an advanced spot to a Physician only spot. not sure though

Thanks j4pac. I will have to find some other job while waiting for 2016. (All assuming I match there of course). I wonder if it is possible to start early if something opened up say between July and Dec of this year without a match violation. Has anyone gone through something like this or know someone who went through this process ?

I suppose that this could technically be a Match violation, but nobody will care. The NRMP isn't going around trolling for violations, they only deal with violations that are reported. If the program you match to happens to offer you a chance to start sooner, it's not like they're going to report you (or you them) for a violation.

I also don't see why this would be a match violation if the program you match into offers you a position that starts earlier. The program would not offer you that position if it was a match violation because of how much it impacts them as well.

As far as I know, if it was a match violation it really wouldn't practically impact you unless you planned to participate in the match again, but it would certainly impact the program since they will definitely be participating in the match again. Which is why I'm pretty doubtful it would be a violation--programs are pretty serious when it comes to risking a match violation. Plus who would report you even if it was a violation?