Switching to Combined Int Med/Preventive Med residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor2201

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently a CA-1 resident and am interested in finding out if it is possible to switch into a combined internal med/preventive med program.

I am at a categorical program, so finished my intern year at the same place. Would it be possible to switch? Can I do my the two clinical years again? How does it work with GME funding?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am currently a CA-1 resident and am interested in finding out if it is possible to switch into a combined internal med/preventive med program.

I am at a categorical program, so finished my intern year at the same place. Would it be possible to switch? Can I do my the two clinical years again? How does it work with GME funding?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks

You have to find a program that has an advance level opening. That program also must be willing to work with you since you need to meet the requirements of both boards (ABIM and ABP). Most likely you will have to repeat intern year in the field that you didn't do your CA-1 in (you didn't mention if you were medicine or peds). You won't have to repeat what you have done already. But you will definitely be on a modified schedule, with no guarantee that you will be done in 4 years (total). But first thing first, you need to find a program that has an opening (ask or call around, it's not rare for Med-Peds residents to switch to categorical peds or categorical medicine, opening up a spot). It's also not that rare for a categorical resident to express interest in Med-Peds. So you're not the first to express interest, nor will you be the last.

If you are family med wanting to do Med-Peds ... it gets tricky because it depends on what credits the ABIM and ABP want to give for your prior rotations.

In terms of funding, I believe you are locked in as soon as you start your categorical program (ie 3 years). Any additional years after that would not be at full funding (I believe 50% of DME and 100% of IME). However, I am far from being an expert on GME funding so others might be able to chime in.

EDIT:
I misread your initial post. I thought you wanted to switch to "Med-Peds" and not "Meds-Preventive Meds". I should pay more attention next time to what I read. My reply may or may not be applicable.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there are not very many IM/PM programs. But, I think it would still be true that you'd have to find a program with an advanced spot (also likely limited). You'd have to look at the structure of the programs you're interested in, but I don't think most formally combined programs save you much time. In other words, even if your goal is to be dual-boarded, you might be better off just completing IM and subsequently doing PM. (Or vice versa, if you want to change programs and finish PM first).

You can apply to PM programs as long as you've completed an intern year in any specialty.

I recently read a nice (brief) summary of GME funding overview in the form of a FAQ, which included questions on prev med funding, but I can't find it right now. It was either on ACGME or AAMC's website.

Members don't see this ad :)