switching to EM as pgy-2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

technoclueless

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is a current general surgery pgy-1. He just called me and said he is looking to switch to EM. (I am an EM resident.) I told him SAEM has a list of vacant pgy-2 spots. Does anyone know if he would be eligible for those spots coming from a year of surgery? Does anyone know of any other resources for him to check out looking for available spots (either pgy-1 or pgy-2)?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

He most likely would need to contact those with openings in a 2-4 year format (where the first year is a prelim/surg/med transitional).

If he was interested in a 3 year he would need to look into those as a new incoming intern again.

Either way the training stays the same length for him/her (4 years).

Hope this helps.

I have a friend who is a current general surgery pgy-1. He just called me and said he is looking to switch to EM. (I am an EM resident.) I told him SAEM has a list of vacant pgy-2 spots. Does anyone know if he would be eligible for those spots coming from a year of surgery? Does anyone know of any other resources for him to check out looking for available spots (either pgy-1 or pgy-2)?
Thanks.

PGY2 openings in EM programs (1-3 or 1-4) come up occasionally but these programs require that you completed one year in a ACGME accredited EM program and are now looking to switch. From what I understand, these programs will not take a resident into a EM2 position when that person completed a year in medicine or surgery. I would suggest to your friend to look into openings in 2-4 year programs or reapply for next year's match into a 1-3 or 1-4 year EM program and redo his intern year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some 1-4's will consider you, depends on the program. Still 3 more years regardless...

A lot depends on your friend on an individual basis. Why is he looking to swap out of surgery? Decided he's had enough and "should have" back in the match or he's getting the boot from his program and is looking for a new place to roost?

Doesn't SAEM maintain a listing of open positions? I'm too lazy this morning to look for the link...

Last edited:
Thanks.

More than likely, he would only be eligible for a PGY2-4 spot without having to restart as an intern. He could possibly get credit for a month or two (program director's discretion), but that's about it.

Can anyone comment on whether or not the same thoughts (i.e. needing to find a 2-4 year program or join the match for a 1-3) would apply to a TY resident wanting to switch into EM? It's much easier to set up a transitional year to mirror that of a EM PGY-1 than it is to set up a medicine or surgery PGY-1 in a similar manner. Is it possible to get more than 6 months credit toward and an EM residency if you had the appropriate set of rotations?

Can anyone comment on whether or not the same thoughts (i.e. needing to find a 2-4 year program or join the match for a 1-3) would apply to a TY resident wanting to switch into EM? It's much easier to set up a transitional year to mirror that of a EM PGY-1 than it is to set up a medicine or surgery PGY-1 in a similar manner. Is it possible to get more than 6 months credit toward and an EM residency if you had the appropriate set of rotations?

No. It is 6 months if you have already completed a residency. And even that is up to the discretion of the PD.