Switching to MD Only from MD-PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mocha19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After an unsuccessful MD-PhD cycle, I have decided to apply MD only for the upcoming cycle and am looking for any advice I can get:

Stats:
4.0 GPA(c)
518 MCAT
100+ hours shadowing
100+ hours volunteering (local junior high tutoring)
2000+ hours research (one published paper - 3rd author, one paper likely to be published shortly - 1st author)
1000+ hours paid tutoring (also learning assistant for 5 different classes over past 3 years)

I have a full-time nanny position for three young children for the summer which will be part-time during the school year and have also interviewed and been accepted for several scribing positions come fall. Finally, I have signed up at several local hospitals to volunteer, but no results so far.

I applied all MD/PhD last year. I had two interviews at good school, but was rejected at both. I applied as a rising senior (but with AP credits and summer classes while researching, I only had two years of classes prior to applications). I now have graduated (so no problems there) although I am still on the young side (which is what both schools told me when they rejected me -- although they both strongly encouraged me to reapply again this cycle).

I'm looking for any feedback I can get. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

1) More clinical experience beyond shadowing before you apply really would help. Frankly, this looks like an MD/PhD application in every which way which isnt necessairly ideal for MD only schools when you dont have much clinical experience.

2) Im assuming the MD/PhD programs you you were also considered for MD only? If that is the case Im guessing you'll probably be a reapplicant at them.

It is getting rather late in the year to try and put together some last minute clinical experience outside of shadowing. As is if you apply this cycle get MSAR if you dont already have it to come up with a good list of schools. Start with the ones in your state. Work out from there. Include your top 20 reaches and from there the schools a tier below that. Best targets for you will be OOS friendly ones with an MCAT median around 33-35 that get <10k apps per year. Perhaps apply a little broader than you would otherwise if you give it a go this cycle because of the limited clinical experience beyond shadowing but those stats will get you IIs.

Reactions: 1 user
Bear in mind that nanny work gets almost no respect... I don't think that's fair, but I do think it's a fairly accurate perception of the job. Are there other positions you could do instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) More clinical experience beyond shadowing before you apply really would help. Frankly, this looks like an MD/PhD application in every which way which isnt necessairly ideal for MD only schools when you dont have much clinical experience.

2) Im assuming the MD/PhD programs you you were also considered for MD only? If that is the case Im guessing you'll probably be a reapplicant at them.

It is getting rather late in the year to try and put together some last minute clinical experience outside of shadowing. As is if you apply this cycle get MSAR if you dont already have it to come up with a good list of schools. Start with the ones in your state. Work out from there. Include your top 20 reaches and from there the schools a tier below that. Best targets for you will be OOS friendly ones with an MCAT median around 33-35 that get <10k apps per year. Perhaps apply a little broader than you would otherwise if you give it a go this cycle because of the limited clinical experience beyond shadowing but those stats will get you IIs.
Thanks for your response. I will work harder to get some more clinical -- I was thinking I could mention in my personal statement, even if I can't list it in my activities on AMCAS. I did not ask to be considered for MD only (my pre-health advisor said it was better to go all in for MD/PhD, because otherwise if I was willing to be MD only, they wouldn't think I was serious about MD/PhD). The reason I am now changing to MD only is because I really feel that I can get the research I want (in the area I am interested) through an MD program and I don't really need the PhD.

I really appreciate the help!

Bear in mind that nanny work gets almost no respect... I don't think that's fair, but I do think it's a fairly accurate perception of the job. Are there other positions you could do instead?
Thank you for the response. Since I am very interested in areas that are pediatric specific, I thought this would be a good option. I can't leave the family without anyone for the summer, but I could certainly attempt to find something more clinical for the fall.

Thank you for the response. Since I am very interested in areas that are pediatric specific, I thought this would be a good option. I can't leave the family without anyone for the summer, but I could certainly attempt to find something more clinical for the fall.

Good solution. Since you're interested in pediatrics, may I suggest working with disabled children?

Good solution. Since you're interested in pediatrics, may I suggest working with disabled children?
I initially tried, but this was the job that was first available. I will continue to look. Thank you for the advice!

You sound like you could also be a good candidate for a research MD program like Case Western's CCLCM program or Pitt's PSTP. Check 'em out if you haven't already. But regardless, yes, you definitely need more clinical hours. The scribing job should help.