Sympathetic Nervous System, BP, and Filtration Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justadream

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the sympathetic nervous system increases BP and constricts blood vessels.

Yet I read somewhere that the Sympathetic Nervous System innervation DECREASES filtration rate in the kidney.

So I have two questions
1) Does higher BP usually increase filtration rate in the kidney?
2) If so, then why does the filtration rate in the kidney decrease? Is it because sympathetic nervous system diverts so much fluid from the kidney (to the skeletal muscles) that the increased BP effect is overridden?

Members don't see this ad.

My understanding was that increased blood pressure coincides with afferent arteriole constriction - resulting in roughly no net change in filtration rate.

I agree with your second statement except for the overriding part. The renal vasculature is highly innervated by the sympathetic nervous system, and higher levels of stimulation will reduce blood flow and filtration.

If I recall correctly, the sympathetic nervous system increases BP and constricts blood vessels.

Yet I read somewhere that the Sympathetic Nervous System innervation DECREASES filtration rate in the kidney.

So I have two questions
1) Does higher BP usually increase filtration rate in the kidney?
2) If so, then why does the filtration rate in the kidney decrease? Is it because sympathetic nervous system diverts so much fluid from the kidney (to the skeletal muscles) that the increased BP effect is overridden?
Multifaceted question with innumerable answers.

1. It's not the BP that increases/decreases the filtration rate; it's the difference between the local blood pressure and filtrate pressure (think hydrostatic).

2. The overall effect of the SNS is to increase overall blood pressure, but this is a mix of constrictions and dilations. For example, you don't want to constrict blood flow to your skeletal muscles during a fight or flight response.

Just to add onto what others have said, it depends on what's causing the blood pressure to rise. SNS constricts arteries towards certain organs (including kidney), so that other tissues that need it (for "fight or flight" response) are able to retain the much needed blood. This includes the heart, the brain, and skeletal muscle. By constricting arteries towards other organs, this increases venous return and cardiac output (indirectly) which increases systemic pressure. Also, the restriction of various arteries increases resistance which also facilitates an increase in pressure. Decreases blood filtration in the kidney occurs because less blood is directed towards the kidney.

Other factors play a role in blood pressure as well. Think about someone in a car accident who is losing a tremendous amount of blood. Their blood pressure will drop immensely. Barocepters on the heart signal the hypothalamus to increase release of ADH. ADH acts on the collecting duct in the kidney to increase venous return by reabsorption of water.

Think about someone whose been stuck on a desert for sometime (very low water intake). These individuals have blood that is hyperosmotic and therefore very low blood pressure (more solute, too little fluid). Normal blood has an osmolarity of 300 mOsm (above that is considered hypertonic). Receptors in the hypothalamus (osmoreceptors), recognize this and also stimulate ADH release (same function as above). At the same time, the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone pathway is activated. The enzyme renin is released by juxtaglomerular cells in the kidney upon stimulation of macula densa cells (specialized cells that monitor sodium levels and blood flow). Renin activates angiotensinogen to angiotensin I. Angiotensin I is activated b ACE (released by lungs) to Angiotensin II; AII is a powerful vasoconstrictor and increases blood pressure by vasoconstriction. At the same time it constricts both the afferent and efferent arteriole, although the efferent to a greater degree. (This might seem counter intuitive since constriction of efferent increases GFR and increases filtrate output but I believe this is a feedback mech; I never heard a proper explanation). AII also activates aldosterone release in the adrenal cortex. Aldosterone increases sodium reabsorption which ultimately results in increased water reabsorption, also allowing increased blood pressure.

Still, other factors can influence pressure. On the other side of the spectrum, people who have high blood pressure for sometime cause the cardiac cells of the heart to stretch. This stretching releases ANP which acts on the kidneys to increase sodium excretion and thereby reduce reabsorption of water.

I think I have that right, but if anyone sees anything erroneous please let me know.

Reactions: 1 users