TA vs. Tutoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LACMA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys :)

Just wondering: Which experience will look better on my application given that I want to be a teacher/ go into academic medicine. TAing shows leadership and working with a larger group and Tutoring is more like working with individuals. It sounds like TAing will develop my character/personality more than tutoring will.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

will have zero effect on any position you ever try to get

Reactions: 1 user
You might wanna post in the pre-allo section to get more informed responses.

Personally, I tutored for a while, put the experience on my application and it wasn't mentioned a single time at my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
will have zero effect on any position you ever try to get

I was thinking it would help reinforce any kind of assertion I make about wanting to be a teacher. Like in terms of the bigger picture of the application and my career goals/ what I'd like to do with an MD PhD, etc. Looking at some other people's replies (on the preallo page) It looks like TAing can build my character more than tutoring will - building my confidence to speak and teach in a structured kind of way to a bunch of people instead of just 1 person at a time. I think it might be a better "experience" for me than tutoring will be. The only "issue" is it's easier to get a tutoring position than a TA position.

MD PhD programs are looking for researchers more than teachers. These 2 are sometimes synonymous, but not always.

Do whichever one you think will be more valuable to you. The rest tends to work itself out in time if you keep pursuing your interests.

Reactions: 1 users
If you feel like you want to work on your public speaking skills, go with TAing if you will get to lecture/lead sessions. I tutored and TAed and neither was mentioned in any of my interviews. I agree with mark-ER, go with the best logistical option, imo.