Tablet for Wards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tco

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what you guys use on wards? I'm going to get something before next month. I feel that people get stuck in the hospital because of not being able to finish notes on time. I want to be able to work on mine while the attending blabbers on about the FeNa and SAAG and Light's criteria for no apparent reason.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering what you guys use on wards? I'm going to get something before next month. I feel that people get stuck in the hospital because of not being able to finish notes on time. I want to be able to work on mine while the attending blabbers on about the FeNa and SAAG and Light's criteria for no apparent reason.
1. Get whatever works with the EMR you have. iPads are popular around my neck of the woods.
2. Typing out notes on a tablet during rounds is probably going to save you 15-20 minutes at the most ... assuming ...
3. ...Your attending doesn't smack the thing out of your hand when he sees you ignoring him.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Get whatever works with the EMR you have. iPads are popular around my neck of the woods.
2. Typing out notes on a tablet during rounds is probably going to save you 15-20 minutes at the most ... assuming ...
3. ...Your attending doesn't smack the thing out of your hand when he sees you ignoring him.

Thanks.

I'm a TY. They don't really care what we do as long as we get the work done.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree--a tablet will hardly save you anytime (it takes forever to type on those things). Especially if you have epic--it's so quick and easy to type in those notes on a computer. Plus they add a fair amount of weight to your coat--I really liked keeping my coat as light as possible. They may seem light at first, but as the day goes on...

I was a TY as well last year and while my attendings were all very nice, they had the same expectations of us as the IM residents--I'm not sure I'd count on them not caring what you do. Rounds can be long and boring on occasion, but you learn a lot. Take advantage of intern year to learn as much as you can--you're only an intern once.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys have the computers on wheels workstations?

I would just push that around with the team, put in orders while other intern presents, use it to look up info on the patient etc. It really makes things easier on rounds.

Do you guys have the computers on wheels workstations?

I would just push that around with the team, put in orders while other intern presents, use it to look up info on the patient etc. It really makes things easier on rounds.

We do at my hospital, however it's not really practical to push them across 3 separate areas (we have 3 areas on each floor), and then pick up another one when we drop down to the next floor. Additionally they're generally claimed by the nurses when they change shifts. The only places I've seen the medical teams routinely using them is in the SICU and MICU. However our two units are right next to each other, so even if a SICU patient is physically located in the MICU, it's still easy enough to push the COW to the room.

What I do find my tablet helpful for is putting in orders while discussing my patient (or discussing the next intern's patient) or looking up labs that were still pending when I was pre-rounding.