Tablets For School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmo1012

SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a little last minute, but I have a tablet that I was planning on using for note taking in grad school. Which happens to start in 8.5 hours...

I can't figure out how to convert ppts into something I can take notes on. I'm a little used to using one note, but I can't figure out how to get pdfs or ppts into one note (I have one of the new versions of the samsung galaxy). Seems like if i wanted to convert every slide into a jpeg I could insert them, but aint nobody got time for that.

How are people taking notes on tablets??

(I feel like such an old person now - back in my day we used pen and paper ;) haha)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't yet figured out a way to do that on my galaxy note (2014 edition). I'm sure there are apps for it or something. But I typically save the PowerPoint as a pdf (if you go to the print it there should be a "print to pdf" option listed with the printer choices) on my laptop, put it in dropbox, then get it from dropbox on my tablet. You can export it from dropbox to any of the note taking apps, I use lecture notes.

It does kind of suck if professors make last minute changes to the powerpoints so I'm going to be looking into a way to go from PowerPoint to pdf on the tablet itself but I just haven't found one yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I tried out 3 different note taking applications for my Galaxy Note Pro during my MS. There was a definite winner... but I also found a walk through tutorial.
Late for work, but I'll come back in a bit.

There is an app called LectureNotes. I also downloaded LectureRecordings. Together you can sync the notes and the audio and have your notes appear and disappear. You can use ppt or pdf. You can annotate on top (I recommend using layers for this so that you can go back over your notes and add another layer and so you can write any way you want without the program trying to figure out how to merge your handwriting with the base layer, plus you can erase without issues... blah blah blah)

There is a trial version that doesn't let you do all the cool stuff... but it was worth buying. You can video record too, but that is another app.
I saved all my notes by date, color coded the books by class and was able to scroll through them easily. With evernote, I could convert the notes and send them to other people (It merged the layers and shrunk the file size).

That's what made my brain happy. Another kid with the Galaxy Note pro used one note and got it to do most of the same stuff, but the description of how he worked the app and twraked it made my brain hurt. LectureNote just did it (once I tweaked a few settings. I Googled the app and found a walk through that told me which settings to leave it on and never had to futz with it again.)

If you know the app you want to use, try searching YouTube for how-to's on working it.

It's honestly one of my first resources when trying to figure something tech or computer-related out -- there's usually always people posting this kind of stuff.

There is an app called LectureNotes. I also downloaded LectureRecordings. Together you can sync the notes and the audio and have your notes appear and disappear. You can use ppt or pdf. You can annotate on top (I recommend using layers for this so that you can go back over your notes and add another layer and so you can write any way you want without the program trying to figure out how to merge your handwriting with the base layer, plus you can erase without issues... blah blah blah)

There is a trial version that doesn't let you do all the cool stuff... but it was worth buying. You can video record too, but that is another app.
I saved all my notes by date, color coded the books by class and was able to scroll through them easily. With evernote, I could convert the notes and send them to other people (It merged the layers and shrunk the file size).

That's what made my brain happy. Another kid with the Galaxy Note pro used one note and got it to do most of the same stuff, but the description of how he worked the app and twraked it made my brain hurt. LectureNote just did it (once I tweaked a few settings. I Googled the app and found a walk through that told me which settings to leave it on and never had to futz with it again.)
I love lecturenotes :)
So you're able to put a ppt directly in lecturenotes? How do you do that? I've always converted to pdf.

I love lecturenotes :)
So you're able to put a ppt directly in lecturenotes? How do you do that? I've always converted to pdf.
I redownloaded lecture notes ( my kid wiped my tablet when we moved) and I don't know. :shrug:

Maybe I converted everything too. I know many of the professors posted all the notes in pdf and ppt, but a few didn't. I only remember dragging the files over to LectureNotes and they just were there. I can't make it happen, but I can tell that the settings aren't the same... if I figure it out, I'll let you know, but right now I'm just going to assume I blocked the memory of arguing with files out of my brain.+pissed+

Drawboad PDF. $10 from the Droid app store. Awesome PDF viewer with a ton of functionality. I use it every day, and it has never let me down. Highlight and write with multiple colors and pen thicknesses to your heart's content. Probably the most useful software I have ever bought- all for 10 bucks!!

http://www.drawboard.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't remember how I did it, but I used to be able to import pdfs into onenote all on the same tab (I think doing print to onenote makes every slide it's own tab? Whatever function did that I really hated). But I think it only worked on the desktop version and not the app version. Have no idea why that was. Haven't tried it yet with the new computer to see if this has been fixed yet.

I can't remember how I did it, but I used to be able to import pdfs into onenote all on the same tab (I think doing print to onenote makes every slide it's own tab? Whatever function did that I really hated). But I think it only worked on the desktop version and not the app version. Have no idea why that was. Haven't tried it yet with the new computer to see if this has been fixed yet.

Hmm print to one note made all the slides go on the same tab for me, you could select where you wanted it to go.

But I guess print to one note isn't available on the tablet which sucks. They should fix that.

after all that panicking, theres only actually been 1 ppt for the classes...although it still would be nice to be able to insert documents and articles, but oh well.

I'm gonna necrobump this thread since I think that this discussion will likely come up soon for class of 2021 and I wanted to get it started (omg we start vet school in 5 months can you believe it???)

I know my school doesn't have computer or tablet requirements, so I'm thinking iPad Pro or Surface Pro 4. I'm leaning towards the iPad Pro because of the integration between my Mac and my iPhone, but I'm concerned about common apps not working as well.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm gonna necrobump this thread since I think that this discussion will likely come up soon for class of 2021 and I wanted to get it started (omg we start vet school in 5 months can you believe it???)

I know my school doesn't have computer or tablet requirements, so I'm thinking iPad Pro or Surface Pro 4. I'm leaning towards the iPad Pro because of the integration between my Mac and my iPhone, but I'm concerned about common apps not working as well.
If your school uses lockdown browser for exams, you likely won't be about to use the iPad.

Oh true- I didn't think of that.

(Shamelessly tagging OSU people to check @RoryCat @alohacat319 @Lupin21 )

They didn't give us any information, from what I hear anything goes.
The variety of tech has not impacted anyone here as far as I know. Android, mac, windows all have representatives.

Do you know anyone currently in school that uses an iPad Pro? I've been internally arguing with myself if it's worth the cost because I have a MacBook laptop but I'm drawn to it because of the Apple Pencil that's supposed to be an incredible stylus. I just want to know just how "worth it" it is in vet school or if the good old pen and paper will work as well.

Sorry! Meant to reply to this. Please read above post! ^_^

Do you know anyone currently in school that uses an iPad Pro? I've been internally arguing with myself if it's worth the cost because I have a MacBook laptop but I'm drawn to it because of the Apple Pencil that's supposed to be an incredible stylus. I just want to know just how "worth it" it is in vet school or if the good old pen and paper will work as well.
My friend has one in undergrad. He loves it!. For some reason I'm thinking @Caiter92 has one too for vet school, but I might be crazy/ wrong.

I don't have an iPad Pro, so not technically what you're looking for, but I have an iPad Air 2 and a MacBook Pro. Totally worth it in my opinion. I took all my notes on notability on my iPad. There's a notability app for MacBook and iPhone so my notes synced to all my devices. I often studied on my MacBook at home and used my iPad on the go. Syncing has been especially useful on clinics since I can quickly look up my notes on my phone.

I don't have an iPad Pro, so not technically what you're looking for, but I have an iPad Air 2 and a MacBook Pro. Totally worth it in my opinion. I took all my notes on notability on my iPad. There's a notability app for MacBook and iPhone so my notes synced to all my devices. I often studied on my MacBook at home and used my iPad on the go. Syncing has been especially useful on clinics since I can quickly look up my notes on my phone.
No no thank you for your response! Thats the other option I'm looking into! Its quite a bit cheaper and still a nice size!
Do you have a stylus you use for your Notability app? How do you get precision when you are annotating your notes?

So you think its worth the pricey tag? Do you also have a Macbook laptop or is your iPad Pro your daily driver?
I've been using my pro exclusively for school since August. I actually didn't have a computer until last week because mine died shortly after school started and I didn't replace it right away.

Unless you're going to get the Apple Pencil too, go with the newest Air. Has really similiar specs and the ability to use the Pencil on the pro is about the only real difference between the two. The Air is a few hundred cheaper too. I've really hated other styluses I've tried in the past on other people's iPads, so that's why I went with the Pro+Pencil, but there are definitely styluses that work almost as well if you shop around. I use the iPad plus notability for all my class notes, so I definitely feel like it's been worth the money.

If you do go with the pro, I wouldn't recommend getting the Smart Keyboard though. I tried it out and hated the key feel, and it's ridiculously expensive. I have a Keys to Go keyboard for when I need it and it feels way better quality and was like $30 vs $150 for the Smart Keyboard.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this particular computer yet, but figured I'd throw in a plug. At ISU we're required to buy a specific computer---it's the Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260 for the c/o 2020... I believe the c/o 2019 has the Yoga 12. I absolutely love it. I've been a fan of ThinkPads since the start of undergrad (at that time, I used an X220T) for their durability and power, and I wouldn't trade this computer for any other and was happy to see that ISU was going with the ThinkPads. Definitely not a Mac person at all; I had a Surface Pro for a short amount of time but wasn't a fan.

I think it's pretty comparable price-wise to a MacBook. Before the warranty and IT fee the school made us pay, I believe that the computer itself was about $1200 and it's pretty dang decked out: Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 800 GB SSD, and its digitizer beats the Surface's by far in terms of feel and overall functionality IMO. I'm quite happy with my ThinkPad. :love:

Oh true- I didn't think of that.

(Shamelessly tagging OSU people to check @RoryCat @alohacat319 @Lupin21 )

They didn't give us any information, from what I hear anything goes.

To my knowledge, no computer based exams. I believe the school recommends that computers meet the guidelines listed here: http://www.it.okstate.edu/services/vrel/

I remember being sent the link and it caught me off guard as I thought okstate didn't require a specific computer! And then I realized the link was just recommendations. However, I was worried for a second that I was going to have to buy a new $1000+ computer when they first sent out the email.

Also for what it's worth, I really struggled with note taking all thru undergrad. I did the tablet thing, the handwritten note thing, the printing out the ppt slide thing and none of it really worked for me. Half way thru last semester I decided to try typing my notes. I didn't think it would work but it has BEAUTIFULLY. I split the screen between PowerPoint and Word and it has been so great. Wish I had tried this years ago!
Also, like Alohacat said a lot of people have surfaces. And there are a handful of iPad users. For me, I will second Sandstorm's mentioning of Thinkpads. They are great!

You can get refurbished 2+1s off eBay for pretty cheap. My x220t convertible tablet that was over $1200 in 2011 can be bought off eBay for around $300-400. Currently I am using a x220 non tablet in class that I got off eBay for $200. And with a 9 cell battery, I easily get 8+ hours of battery time. I don't even bring my charger with me. :)

To my knowledge, no computer based exams. I believe the school recommends that computers meet the guidelines listed here: http://www.it.okstate.edu/services/vrel/

I remember being sent the link and it caught me off guard as I thought okstate didn't require a specific computer! And then I realized the link was just recommendations. However, I was worried for a second that I was going to have to buy a new $1000+ computer when they first sent out the email.

Also for what it's worth, I really struggled with note taking all thru undergrad. I did the tablet thing, the handwritten note thing, the printing out the ppt slide thing and none of it really worked for me. Half way thru last semester I decided to try typing my notes. I didn't think it would work but it has BEAUTIFULLY. I split the screen between PowerPoint and Word and it has been so great. Wish I had tried this years ago!
Also, like Alohacat said a lot of people have surfaces. And there are a handful of iPad users. For me, I will second Sandstorm's mentioning of Thinkpads. They are great!

You can get refurbished 2+1s off eBay for pretty cheap. My x220t convertible tablet that was over $1200 in 2011 can be bought off eBay for around $300-400. Currently I am using a x220 non tablet in class that I got off eBay for $200. And with a 9 cell battery, I easily get 8+ hours of battery time. I don't even bring my charger with me. :)
Ah. See I tried the typing out thing and didn't retain things as well as I did when I handwrote them. My concern is that with an iPad i won't retain in. I might just stick to what I know works with that tried and true paper and pen. ^_^

So you think its worth the pricey tag? Do you also have a Macbook laptop or is your iPad Pro your daily driver?

I use an iPad Pro. All the time. I adore it for classes. Best money I ever spent

Ah. See I tried the typing out thing and didn't retain things as well as I did when I handwrote them. My concern is that with an iPad i won't retain in. I might just stick to what I know works with that tried and true paper and pen. ^_^

That's what I was afraid of and one of the main reasons I never tried typing my notes in undergrad! We always hear of the studies showing that physically writing helps with memory. However, for me while I think note taking is an important part of my studying regime, it is not my only method of studying and thus once home from class I then approach the material from different ways (like drawing, diagramming , writing things out, etc) My notes definitely leave the "digital" form once I am home. And while handwritten notes may be the best and that's what I tried for the first week of class, I unfortunately failed miserably! I could not keep up!

+1 for the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil.

I'm a "have to hand write to memorize" person as well.

Then with notability synced to google drive, I can bring up my notes as PDFs on a split screen while handwriting cheat sheets in notability.

Best functional tech money I have ever spent.

Reactions: 2 users
No no thank you for your response! Thats the other option I'm looking into! Its quite a bit cheaper and still a nice size!
Do you have a stylus you use for your Notability app? How do you get precision when you are annotating your notes?
I use an adonit dash. Works via bluetooth. Notability app cancels your hand when you're using a stylus. Every once in a while it gives me a problem but most of the time it writes just fine. took a couple weeks of learning how to best hold the stylus (of any sort, ive been through at least half a dozen) to get the most accurate writing.

Good to hear you like the lenovo @SandstormDVM It's a requirement for Purdue as well, but not sure what kind we are getting They're going to let us know at the beginning of summer I believe. A little pricey at $2400, but that covers technical support!

So question for everybody that likes the iPad Pro - what size did you go for? I have the first version of the iPad mini and I super love it for reading and portability, but I feel like it'd be too small for note taking. I'm another one that absolutely needs to write things out in order to learn them but I'm a hella slow writer (and things have to be need or I have to re-write them..) and I feel like I need an upgrade.

So question for everybody that likes the iPad Pro - what size did you go for? I have the first version of the iPad mini and I super love it for reading and portability, but I feel like it'd be too small for note taking. I'm another one that absolutely needs to write things out in order to learn them but I'm a hella slow writer (and things have to be need or I have to re-write them..) and I feel like I need an upgrade.
I'd go for the 9.7 inch model. Personally I think the 12.9 inch is just too big (for me) but if you need the screen real estate and larger as well as longer battery life then the 12.9 is right up your alley

I have the 9.7". 12.9" seemed too big for me. I use mine landscape oriented and it's as wide as the 12.9 is that way.

I also hand write and annotate slides for notes with the pro. I do sometimes type notes in phys (cause we have no note packets or slides in that class), but I'm someone who needs to write it out to retain.

So the consensus I'm seeing here is that the iPad mimics hand writing well enough to retain it if you're an "old fashioned" person such as myself. This is awesome!

PSA: Apple is doing a keynote launch in June and they've announced that the iPad Pro will get a refresh and to expect an iPad Pro 2 so if you're thinking of buying one, wait until the iPad Pro 2 is released, the price will go down on the original! That's my plan anyways. Gotta save the $$$

**this is not a 100% confirmed thing yet but usually the predictions are correct**

I have a surface pro 3 and the stylus is really good. I take notes in OneNote using the stylus and find it's just as good as when I did it on paper, and I can quickly change colors, highlight and move things around if I want. I'm probably the only person in my class that uses the stylus for taking notes in class, everyone else either types or uses paper.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a surface pro 3 and the stylus is really good. I take notes in OneNote using the stylus and find it's just as good as when I did it on paper, and I can quickly change colors, highlight and move things around if I want. I'm probably the only person in my class that uses the stylus for taking notes in class, everyone else either types or uses paper.

Yea I have that too. What I did in classes where I write notes is put a ppt in presentation mode and write straight on the slides then after class type up what I wrote. Mainly because my handwriting is horrible and half the time can't read my own writing. The precision is pretty nice. The only thing I didn't like about it is how hard it is to write when you have it sitting right on your lap. Much easier if you have a desk or table or something.

I do think the surface is comparable stylus-wise.

I just personally can't stand onenote so that's just an app preference at that point.

And +1 for the smaller pro screen. It's plenty to work with, the larger seems cumbersome.

Oh- about the iPad Pro- my hand always rests on my device, making writing with a stylus a trouble. sometimes Anyone have any experience with this??