Take 2nd semester of biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I'm currently in my first semester of biochem.
Next semester, I would normally take the second semester, which covers metabolism.
Do I need to take this, or could I skip it and self study for the MCAT?
I'm just worried about the likely hit on my GPA, which is currently about a 3.4 in terms of sciences. I will be taking physics II and a difficult physiology course as well, so I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to take all 3. I was planning to study over the summer and take the MCAT at the end of the summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you need it for your major? If not, don't take it, because you don't need the second semester of biochem for the MCAT, either.

Do you need it for your major? If not, don't take it, because you don't need the second semester of biochem for the MCAT, either.

I thought metabolism and metabolic pathways from biochem were on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know, Acetyl. My biochem covered them in-depth (only 1 semester).

I think if you study them, yes. Many will probably /roll eyes at this but DRAW them. Start with Glycolysis: glucose through pyruvate, all enzymes; then to into the TCA - draw that.

Ask yourself WHY Acetyl-CoA only has 2 carbons but we end up with 6 in the cycle (oxaloacetate comes in with 4, joins Acetyl Co-A to make 6 C citrate...)

Draw gluconeo and then ask yourself how insulin or glucagon might affect it, or not :)

What I would strongly encourage you to do, and anyone else starting prep for the MCAT, is this:

Print out the AAMC "What's On The 2015 MCAT" from the site, and mark off each topic and subtopic to make sure you're covered. In doing this, you'll see exactly what you won't get if you bypass taking a 2nd semester of biochem.

I did what I'm suggesting for orgo II which I will never, ever take (not that I dislike orgo which is not true; I love orgo; just find it incredibly boring). With the AAMC guide, I made sure I could draw and understand all the orgo II synthesis and mechanisms including nuc asyl sub.

I thought metabolism and metabolic pathways from biochem were on the MCAT?
Glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, fatty acid metabolism, etc. may all be tested, but I found Khan Academy and ExamKrackers to be sufficient for my review of the material.

What ad2b is suggesting is probably overkill, but her one important point that I want to emphasize is the importance of thinking about these pathways in their physiological context, as with the influence of fed vs. fasted states on insulin and glucagon action, etc.

Glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, fatty acid metabolism, etc. may all be tested, but I found Khan Academy and ExamKrackers to be sufficient for my review of the material.

What ad2b is suggesting is probably overkill, but her one important point that I want to emphasize is the importance of thinking about these pathways in their physiological context, as with the influence of fed vs. fasted states on insulin and glucagon action, etc.

So you guys don't think it's a bad idea to not take second semester biochem and self study it?

For myself, I would take the course, as I tend not to take short cuts. Did that once, didn't work out so well for me.

So you guys don't think it's a bad idea to not take second semester biochem and self study it?
Only 1st semester biochem is tested on the MCAT, as stated by the AAMC. However, you do need to know the metabolism material, but I'm convinced you can self-study the necessary pathways sufficiently, without taking a whole other class that might compromise your GPA. It's up to you.

I did what I'm suggesting for orgo II which I will never, ever take (not that I dislike orgo which is not true; I love orgo; just find it incredibly boring).

Are you planning on just applying to the schools (which I can't expect is very many) that don't require OchemII? Also, its funny that you love it but find it boring.

I would recommend taking it if its feasible.. Since biochem is more concentrated on the mcat it will only help you.

Take the extra course. Work really hard on conserving your gpa.
Metabolism is also covered in my generic biochem class.

New mcat is unpredictable, too fresh, and every little bit helps.
3 hard science classes is manageable. Get a good footing on all the information (study bits every day).

After speaking to two test takers of old, then twice new mcat: I am taking cell metabolism (pathways), upper biochem I, upper biochem II, medical biochem (upper biochem ~ 49xx. not all at same time. in total prep). Basically they said take as many upperlevel biochem as possible.

If it matters, I took biochem 2 and found it easier than biochem 1. More understanding of mechanisms and their relations (memorization sure, but biochem 1 had more), math, and there may be overlap with your physio class, going over hormone pathway mechanisms. I took old MCAT so can't say anything about new MCAT. I remember a biochem question on the old MCAT bio section that was still pretty hard compared to physics that I had not taken in years lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, I took Biochem I and it was sufficient. You will always have some gaps that a certain class didn't cover and you can always address them. If you can't grasp them on your own, schedule an appointment with a biochem teacher and talk to them about what your understanding is and they can tell you where it is flawed. I would take biochem II, if you're interested in it and want to learn more for funsies.

Additionally, I'm sure that the extra knowledge won't hurt in the long run.