Take a failing grade or a W?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a summer course that is very difficult. I just took my midterm and bombed it. There's another midterm coming up in two weeks, but by that time I will have to decide whether or not to take a W without even seeing the midterm grade. I already have some Ws on my transcript and I would hate to take another one, but I don't want to fail this class either. Does an F look worse than a W to medical schools? I know that neither look good, but I just don't see myself getting a passing grade in this class. I'm really bugging out. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

An F looks WAY worse than a W. Ws do not factor into your GPA and may require explanation, but Fs basically speak for themselves. W everytime. I had 3 on my transcript for carious reasons and wasn't asked about any of them.

Reactions: 3 users
A couple Ws here and there are won't matter. An F is way worse and a permanent blemish.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. I'll just grit my teeth and take the W.

good choice. like was said previously, a W here or there won't be an issue unless it is consistently in upper division courses or repeated on the same course.