TAKE and reserve the chance to RETAKE -or- RESCHEDULE and "Go for Broke" ? (HELP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am scheduled to take the MCAT on October 25. I have been studying since mid-May. I will be a nontraditional applicant when I apply since I just graduated from college but I'm not applying until the 2016 cycle. I went to a top undergrad, but my GPA is rather lousy, so I REALLY need to get a high MCAT score. To be specific, my undergraduate GPA was 3.21. I am in the process of doing a DIY post-bacc which will raise my cGPA up to a 3.45 if everything goes according to plan...So with a cGPA of only 3.45 I figure I need to score a 35 on the MCAT in order to feel good about my chances...

So I have taken two AAMC FL's so far, and this is how I am doing:

• AAMC 3 - 10, 12, 11 (33)
  • AAMC 5 - 10, 12, 11 (33)

Same exact score with the same exact distribution. I'm happy with my performance SO FAR, but I am still quite nervous about the real thing. I have heard lots of horror stories of people who averaged 36+ on practice exams scoring many, many points below their average. However, it is my understanding that most people tend to score ~ their AAMC average +/- 1. I would certainly be very happy with a 33, but a 35 is what would really make me feel fulfilled.

That said, I absolutely do NOT want to take the new 2015 MCAT. In fact, I want to avoid it like the plague. I am freaking out because I don't know if I have enough time between now and October 25th to really score my absolute best...I have this gut feeling that if I re-scheduled it for January and studied like crazy during winter break, I could achieve an amazing score. On the other hand, I am scoring OKAY right now, and I have a reasonable shot at reaching my goal score if I keep working hard until the big day. And if I don't score like I wanted to, then I will still have time to schedule a retake for the tail end of January...

So my question is:

Do I man up, study as much as I possibly can this last month, and take the MCAT at the end of October? Or do I reschedule for the last possible administration of the old MCAT in order to maximize my studying time? (Essentially "putting all my eggs in one basket," as it were )

TLDR: MCAT scheduled in a month. I'm averaging 33 on the AAMC's. I want to score a 35 to make up for my lousy GPA. I don't want to take the new MCAT2015. Do I take it in a month and reserve the option of re-taking or do I reschedule for the last administration of the old exam to maximize study time and "go for broke" ?

Members don't see this ad.

You have a month and 10 days or so left...thats plenty of time to improve by several points.

You need to study hard and make that determination closer to your test date. Right now it's pointless.

The most important thing is to keep calm on test day and keep a steady pace. I would keep on doing practice tests until test day. Worst case scenario you can retake it in January. Also, Mcat scores have a range of +- 2 for variability, so a 33 is close enough to a 35. It's not like when you hit a 35, admission people will be much more likely to accept you over a 33.

You need to study hard and make that determination closer to your test date. Right now it's pointless.

Yeah, but the "Gold Zone" ends on 9/25, so it's gonna be more expensive to re-schedule later on...

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not I will be able to sign up for a January 23rd MCAT at the end of November?

I'm really torn about this, guys. Someone talk some sense into me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, but the "Gold Zone" ends on 9/25, so it's gonna be more expensive to re-schedule later on...

Also, can anyone confirm whether or not I will be able to sign up for a January 23rd MCAT at the end of November?

You're doing really well so far, so I don't see why you can't take the test in October. Take a few more exams and see how you do. If anything take that exam in October see how it is and if you don't like it void it and register for the January exam. But keep in mind on test day, almost everyone feels as if they did worse.

January spots have closed in certain areas like California. But in most cases, I think spots are open. So you can always register right after your October exam. And let's say there are no spots left. Refresh every 10 minutes and a spot will open up. I literally spent 3 hours refreshing every 10 minutes and got a location near me.

Also forgot to add. It looks like the scores you can improve on are the sciences. Those are the "easiest" sections to improve on, simply by doing more questions/reviewing on top of that. You'll definitely improve in that month span. I'm assuming you finished all content. So it's just questions from here on out, sprinkled with review.

Why do you think you can't improve in the time you have remaining? You are doing very well already and you have plenty of time left to improve.

Thanks for the replies , guys. I know I have time to improve. The problem is that I am a perfectionist and so I am just bugged by the thought that no matter how well I will be able to do by October 25, it will probably be less than what I would have been able to score if I kept studying and took it at a later date. I don't want to short change myself.

I feel like my studying progress has looked like the titration curve of a weak acid being titrated by a strong base...I made slow progress at first since I had to get the gears turning and overcome the buffer zone of mental fogginess and lack of content recall...Now, however, a month out from the exam, I feel like I am just now reaching the rapid spike in progress. I am making amazing gains day by day, and my confidence and knowledge is skyrocketing. Now, going along with the titration curve example, I wouldn't want to short change myself by taking the exam before I reach the equivalence point. I want to get to the point of the graph where more studying does very little because I have already passed the equivalence point and beyond. I want to absolutelely oversaturate my brain with mcat prowess before I enter the exam room.

/neuroticism

So, if someone could just assure me that I will be able to reach that point of the curve in five weeks, then I will confidently take the 'CAT in October...I just want to destroy it. I feel it in my gut that my latent potential is around 37 MAX, so I would really like to approach that closely.