Take extra classes or do something else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jamesonday

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little background... I have been lurking here for quite some time, but just now decided to finally join and become more involved. Anyway, I am 30 y/o almost 31 and I spent most of my adult life in the military doing IT work. I like the work but was not at all passionate about it. About 5 years ago I was stationed near home and my mother was working at a local hospital. I got a chance to meet some of her work colleagues and became interested in medicine, particularly through a friend of the family who was a pathologist. I decided to take some science courses at a local college and see how things went. Well... I fell in love with science and the thought of pursuing medicine so I decided to finish my military contract and pursue becoming a full-time pre-med. Which brings me to today. I am attending a small private University and have one semester left before I finish my undergrad as a bio/premed major. I am planning on taking the MCAT upcoming spring and applying in the summer. So about 11 months out from applications. I have been scribing in the emergency department of a local hospital for almost a year, started doing research last semester and will continue, TA for A&P, and my overall GPA is about 3.54 or so with science GPA lower than that. Oh and I have tried to start doing a bit of volunteering at local soup kitchen and what not. I am planning to apply to DO and MD. My main question is after this semester I am done my requirements, but would it be worth it to take a couple extra classes the following semester to try to boost my Science GPA and maybe even overall just a bit? I use the GI bill and could potentially take just a couple classes in the spring so I still have time to study and take the MCAT. Or, should I focus my energy in other areas and work with the GPA I have? If I do not take classes in the spring I will most likely start working full time considering I have bills that have to be payed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

A little background... I have been lurking here for quite some time, but just now decided to finally join and become more involved. Anyway, I am 30 y/o almost 31 and I spent most of my adult life in the military doing IT work. I like the work but was not at all passionate about it. About 5 years ago I was stationed near home and my mother was working at a local hospital. I got a chance to meet some of her work colleagues and became interested in medicine, particularly through a friend of the family who was a pathologist. I decided to take some science courses at a local college and see how things went. Well... I fell in love with science and the thought of pursuing medicine so I decided to finish my military contract and pursue becoming a full-time pre-med. Which brings me to today. I am attending a small private University and have one semester left before I finish my undergrad as a bio/premed major. I am planning on taking the MCAT upcoming spring and applying in the summer. So about 11 months out from applications. I have been scribing in the emergency department of a local hospital for almost a year, started doing research last semester and will continue, TA for A&P, and my overall GPA is about 3.54 or so with science GPA lower than that. Oh and I have tried to start doing a bit of volunteering at local soup kitchen and what not. I am planning to apply to DO and MD. My main question is after this semester I am done my requirements, but would it be worth it to take a couple extra classes the following semester to try to boost my Science GPA and maybe even overall just a bit? I use the GI bill and could potentially take just a couple classes in the spring so I still have time to study and take the MCAT. Or, should I focus my energy in other areas and work with the GPA I have? If I do not take classes in the spring I will most likely start working full time considering I have bills that have to be payed. Thanks!

I wouldn't. Your grades will get you into most schools. Being military helps as well. I'd work on the MCAT and start working full time. It's going to be a handful for you as is. If your grades are good, "If it ain't broke don't fix it" tends to be a good rule to go by.

Your grades will get you into most schools.
Correction: Your grades are adequate for most MD programs. The average GPA and sGPA for med school in 2015-2016 was 3.7 and 3.64 respectively. You're not in major trouble, but it's worth being aware of. DO schools offer grade replacement. If any of your core science pre-reqs are low (below or equal to B-), I would consider addressing one or two of those.

I would also reach out to a former CO to see about a letter of req. Since it may be tough to get a hold of them, I recommend giving yourself enough time. Having a military record and a strong letter speaking to your work ethic, teamwork, etc, makes for a great letter.

If you are going to do non-medical community service, pick one organization and stick to it. Having 2-3 that you did a few dozen hours at each is worse than one that you did for almost a year. Bonus points if it's in an area or field you feel strongly about. That will give you more to talk about in essays and your activities section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Correction: Your grades are adequate for most MD programs. .

I'm not sure how this is a correction. Actually, let me correct that...I said he could pretty much get into most schools because he will be mil/former mil when he applies. That pretty much trumps the rest of our hands for a lot of schools. It amazes me that even the nontrad forum is a competition like the pre-allo or pre-osteo.

Hey, thanks for the advice guys. I only have one B- in my first calculus based physics class (Got a B in Physics II). Everything else is B or above, so I am not sure that it is worth re-taking that one Physics class. For volunteering, I just volunteered for a local soup kitchen last week but the person who does the coordination does not even come to the kitchen. So, I didn't even get a chance to meet her in person, which I was not too happy about. I am not sure if I should try again through the same place or maybe try to volunteer my time elsewhere. I have been off active duty now since 2014 so I did not really plan on getting any LOR's from anyone in my previous units. I do have a professor that I took genetics with, will be taking immunology with this semester, and she is the head of the research I am doing, another professor that I had for A&P I and II that I also was a TA for, and my orgo I and II professor who is also my premed adviser to write LOR's, plus I will be asking a physician that I scribe with. So that is 4... I was thinking I could hopefully get one from someone I do volunteer work under and hopefully that will round things out fairly well?

Hey, thanks for the advice guys. I only have one B- in my first calculus based physics class (Got a B in Physics II). Everything else is B or above, so I am not sure that it is worth re-taking that one Physics class. For volunteering, I just volunteered for a local soup kitchen last week but the person who does the coordination does not even come to the kitchen. So, I didn't even get a chance to meet her in person, which I was not too happy about. I am not sure if I should try again through the same place or maybe try to volunteer my time elsewhere. I have been off active duty now since 2014 so I did not really plan on getting any LOR's from anyone in my previous units. I do have a professor that I took genetics with, will be taking immunology with this semester, and she is the head of the research I am doing, another professor that I had for A&P I and II that I also was a TA for, and my orgo I and II professor who is also my premed adviser to write LOR's, plus I will be asking a physician that I scribe with. So that is 4... I was thinking I could hopefully get one from someone I do volunteer work under and hopefully that will round things out fairly well?
That all sounds great. Crazy that you're taking a calc based physics. Most schools have a life science physics that is calc free.

I would really suggest trying to get an LOR from your previous unit. It's not a negative to not get it, but the positive benefits are fantastic. For your LORs, many schools want 2 science and 1 non-science. Others want a committee letter. So having the two profs and your premed advisor are great. @Goro and the other AdCom folks on here have talked about the superfluousness of physician letters. Same goes for your volunteer work. Unless they can add new, positive and personal substance, it's just fluff. The reason they want committee letters or multiple prof letters is to show multiple examples of a students ability handle the massive academic rigors of medical school. Regardless, based on your trajectory, the main piece of advice is to do well on the MCAT. LORS and ECs will differentiate you, but that's all for not if you bomb the MCAT.

I'm not sure how this is a correction. Actually, let me correct that...I said he could pretty much get into most schools because he will be mil/former mil when he applies. That pretty much trumps the rest of our hands for a lot of schools. It amazes me that even the nontrad forum is a competition like the pre-allo or pre-osteo.
Sorry, wasn't trying to stomp on your comment. Your original phrasing implied his grades alone could get him into most schools. But your comment here is what I was also trying to say. As a matriculating nontrad who had to reapply, I can tell you the road to med school is long and paved with potholes.

First off, many thanks for your service to our country!

I have been lurking here for quite some time, but just now decided to finally join and become more involved. Anyway, I am 30 y/o almost 31 and I spent most of my adult life in the military doing IT work. I like the work but was not at all passionate about it.

Good.
I have been scribing in the emergency department of a local hospital for almost a year, started doing research last semester and will continue, TA for A&P, and my overall GPA is about 3.54 or so with science GPA lower than that.

Also good.
Oh and I have tried to start doing a bit of volunteering at local soup kitchen and what not. I am planning to apply to DO and MD.

I think that it's worth it, especially if it's material to help you on MCAT.
My main question is after this semester I am done my requirements, but would it be worth it to take a couple extra classes the following semester to try to boost my Science GPA and maybe even overall just a bit?

Your call. With your military background, your cGPA isn't that much of a hindrance. But if you can bring up the sGPA, that's always fine. You can also try to work some research time in, instead of classes.
Or, should I focus my energy in other areas and work with the GPA I have? If I do not take classes in the spring I will most likely start working full time considering I have bills that have to be payed. Thanks![/QUOTE]